Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: winter camping advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> winter camping advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/21 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what the campground will allow but if possible enclose the bottom of the trailer and any slides you may have. Keeping the extreme cold out from under the trailer will help a lot to keep you warm. Tape up all seams so wind/cold can not get under there. You will want to keep the black and grey tanks closed until full. Then open to drain and make sure you walk the drain hose to get all of the liquids out. You don't want an ice plug in the hose the next time you need to dump.

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lpranger467 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. We have a seasonal site that we have reserved. It has sewer and electric. My plans would be to use bottled water only and to flush the toilet using a antifreeze/water mix and not turn on the water at all.

I'd like to get a 100 lbs propane tank, but if I have to switch 20 lbs bottles every 2 days or so it wouldnt be the end of the world for me.

I would like the option of using space heaters set on low maybe (750 watts) to supplement the heat so the furnace doesnt run as often.

We really have no choice but to be local due to our jobs, we have tried many different angles to rent a house/mobile home with absolutely no luck as all.

I'm frustrated to say the least but our cats are like our kids and we have to keep them with us for this move.

Your winters are going to be more harsh than where I live in PA and I would never consider attempting to live in a RV during winter. Your plan is fraught with issues and discomfort all to be able to keep your cats.

Even using RV antifreeze to flush your toilet isn't going to fully prevent issues with your black water tank and it will be expensive to do so at $3-$5 per gallon.

Your going to burn that 100lb propane tank easily in a week or less and still will feel cold/chilled. Adding in electric heaters will help to some extent but unless you have 50A hookups and site is not on a electric meter you are very limited to one 1500W heater max with 30A 120V service and if metered that will be the most expensive heat you will ever encounter.

Have a neighbor that used a small TT for one winter while their log home was being built.. They said that was the absolute worst idea and wouldn't want to do that again. They were always cold, used lots of propane and electric and still wore heavy coats inside the RV.

Find an pet friendly apartment or home you can rent over the winter, they do exist. May not be in the most ideal neighborhood or location to work but they are out there.

Barring finding a pet friendly apartment or home to rent, consider adopting out your cats to new good homes where they will be loved dearly.

Once your new home is built, then build your new family, heck you might even adopt some unloved cats that live in shelters and give those less fortunate cats a new permanent good home.

lpranger467

Traverse City

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya, we had really thought we could get a rental but we've had the rug pulled out from under us each time due to it being a very hot rental market (and cats). As that we arent using the water lines the only thing I really need is for the blackwater tank not to freeze. I'm wondering if I should leave valve open for the sewer line or allow it to fill up (with antifreeze mix) then dump

bikendan wrote:

lpranger467 wrote:

Hello, We need to use a camper in northern Michigan over this winter while we build our home. We are trying to buy an "artic" version and likely wont use the water lines (I'll have jugs of water for flushing the toilet).

Will the onboard furnace be enough to warm the eunit in most cases in winter ? I'm very hesitant to leave my wife/cats alone in the trailer out of fear of a fire. I was wondering if electric baseboard heaters would work as well.

Any advice, experieces would be welcome

Just realize that there are only a few manufacturers that make a true 4-season RV, such as Arctic Fox and Outdoors RV.
Having an "Arctic" package doesn't make it 4-season, only just 3-season at best. These packages are marketing gimmicks that usually only provide heat to the holding tanks. They rarely include increased insulation.
Unfortunately you are behind the 8-ball starting this so late.

lpranger467

Traverse City

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks very much. I also figure I would get a dehumidifier to keep condensation at bay. I'm still hoping a rental becomes available but not likely

schlep1967 wrote:

Depends on what the campground will allow but if possible enclose the bottom of the trailer and any slides you may have. Keeping the extreme cold out from under the trailer will help a lot to keep you warm. Tape up all seams so wind/cold can not get under there. You will want to keep the black and grey tanks closed until full. Then open to drain and make sure you walk the drain hose to get all of the liquids out. You don't want an ice plug in the hose the next time you need to dump.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot will depend on the insulation in your camper. Most are really poorly insulated. Mine is good down to about 40 degrees. I have used it a few nights when the temps dropped into the lower 20s. The furnace ran a lot, it was still drafty, and felt cold. There was ice accumulation in some of the corners. The condensation was so bad the mattress got wet underneath.

I think you need a better plan.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the catS are your wifes, is it safe to assume she grew up having cats?
If so, would someone from her family be able to house them through the winter?

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4 seasons in an RV is based on some specific criteria.
Winter being in Florida,
Summer in New England,
and spring and fall being somewhere in between.

Follow their schedule, and you now have a 4 season RV.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only dump when the tank is half full or more.
Hay bales make good skirting and can be sawed to any size. Just beware the little creatures are also looking for a warm spot. Use oil filled electric heaters on low to supplement house heater. Prepare for a harsh winter and pray for a mild season.

Good luck with your endeavors.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plenty of people live in them full time in cold climates, but it takes some experience. Good skirting with insulation, electric tape on plumbing lines. Do some reading about people that do it all the time. It can be done.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lpranger467 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. We have a seasonal site that we have reserved. It has sewer and electric.

If you are already paying for electricity you are crazy to NOT use as much of it as possible.

Many RVs have 30A connections which should handle 2 electric heaters. RVs with 50A connections should handle 4 !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> winter camping advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.