Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: winter camping advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > winter camping advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
dedmiston

Coast to Coast

Moderator

Joined: 01/26/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/09/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

IDman wrote:

There is a reason that RV parks and CGs close in the winter. The same reason is why RV owners winterize their rigs.

Be realistic and rent an apartment.


Hmmmm. That's pretty much what I said . . . before my post got removed. What gives here? Did somebody find my suggestion of a more sensible alternative (from a former Michigander, no less) offensive or something?


You replied to a different thread (duplicate) and I nuked the entire thread per the OP's request. Please don't take it personally.


2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230


bikendan

Goodyear, Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 11/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/09/21 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lpranger467 wrote:

What brand do you have if you dont mind

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

We have used our current camper down to 2 degrees f, and we were nice and warm inside. We were in a boondocking spot for a couple of weeks, and could run a generator whenever we wanted. The only problem we had was we lost fresh water to the kitchen of our 5er for an hour or two with 35 mph plus winds.

When I said we were nice and warm, you have to understand that our 5er is built and insulated better than most. I would not have tried that with a camper built in Indiana. I wanted to test ours, and my wife was game, knowing it might get miserable at some point, and it really didn't. The difference is, we had a house 45 minutes away that we could go to, you will not have that option. That changes everything.

Whenever I have been to your area, you don't seem to get as cold as we do, but cold snaps can happen and change everything.


If you looked at his signature, you'd see that they own a 2018 Arctic Fox trailer, which is one of the brands I recommended as a true 4 season trailer.


Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

covered wagon

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/01/2004

View Profile



Posted: 12/11/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Build the insulated shop/ garage first with full hook ups inside and park the rv in there. Get the best insulated overhead doors possible. This is the only way I would think it will work.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

Senior Member

Joined: 08/24/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/11/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

lpranger467 wrote:

What brand do you have if you dont mind

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

We have used our current camper down to 2 degrees f, and we were nice and warm inside. We were in a boondocking spot for a couple of weeks, and could run a generator whenever we wanted. The only problem we had was we lost fresh water to the kitchen of our 5er for an hour or two with 35 mph plus winds.

When I said we were nice and warm, you have to understand that our 5er is built and insulated better than most. I would not have tried that with a camper built in Indiana. I wanted to test ours, and my wife was game, knowing it might get miserable at some point, and it really didn't. The difference is, we had a house 45 minutes away that we could go to, you will not have that option. That changes everything.

Whenever I have been to your area, you don't seem to get as cold as we do, but cold snaps can happen and change everything.


If you looked at his signature, you'd see that they own a 2018 Arctic Fox trailer, which is one of the brands I recommended as a true 4 season trailer.

[emoticon]


2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L


dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

Senior Member

Joined: 08/24/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/11/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

Build the insulated shop/ garage first with full hook ups inside and park the rv in there. Get the best insulated overhead doors possible. This is the only way I would think it will work.

This is the best suggestion. It doesn't take much to make an rv much more suitable in the winter, but it does take something.

Just heating the building to near freezing will make you much more comfortable inside your rv.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/11/21 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

covered wagon wrote:

Build the insulated shop/ garage first with full hook ups inside and park the rv in there. Get the best insulated overhead doors possible. This is the only way I would think it will work.

This is the best suggestion. It doesn't take much to make an rv much more suitable in the winter, but it does take something.

Just heating the building to near freezing will make you much more comfortable inside your rv.


Great generic solution to living in a camper in sub zero weather for sure.
But did either of you look at the calendar or consider the OPs location with this recommendation? Lol
With Santa arriving in 2 weeks and no camper, no shop even started or apparently contemplated, how realistic is this recommendation?
Put your thinking caps on, kids….


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

covered wagon

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/01/2004

View Profile



Posted: 12/11/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

covered wagon wrote:

Build the insulated shop/ garage first with full hook ups inside and park the rv in there. Get the best insulated overhead doors possible. This is the only way I would think it will work.

This is the best suggestion. It doesn't take much to make an rv much more suitable in the winter, but it does take something.

Just heating the building to near freezing will make you much more comfortable inside your rv.


Thanks Deiseltruckdriver,

We did this when we built and it saved not paying for storage. We also had a place to store the cabinets and other materials for getting everything lined out. I helps minimize delays which always seemed to happen.

In the end the breezway between house and garage is a nice place to sit outside in summer.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/12/2005

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 12/12/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Whenever I have been to your area, you don't seem to get as cold as we do, but cold snaps can happen and change everything." Michigan is colder you are far, far wetter.


2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/12/21 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

"Whenever I have been to your area, you don't seem to get as cold as we do, but cold snaps can happen and change everything." Michigan is colder you are far, far wetter.


Ok, your both wrong. Other than that, the winter temps and overall precipitation are actually fairly close between western SD and northern MI.
PS it’s drier in the Black Hills than the north woods of the Upper Midwest.

Regardless, it is not even a point of comparison within the context of this thread other than to recognize that basically one would experience the same issues using a camper in either location.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > winter camping advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.