Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Front axle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front axle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mizdeb

United States

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. Duramax and Allison. It appears the owner before me beefed up the rear suspension but when I had a heavy truck camper on it, it ate up tires on the front. The tires were wearing heavily on the outside area of tread, like the truck was pigeon - toed. Is there anything I can do to fix this so I can get another truck camper?
Thanks, Deb

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's out of alignment (camber/caster) take it to a shop

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

mizdeb

United States

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

I had just had front end worked on & alignment done. The truck with the heavy engine & tyranny means the truck payload is rated 1900 lb. But prior owner beefed up rear springs. Is that what the front needs? Or is it a lost cause? I'm noticing in googling it that I she replace with bigger wheels/tires. But why the problem with tire wear? It doesn't wear like that if I'm not carrying a truck camper.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/21 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you have it aligned with the camper on or off. If you did it with the camper off then it's not right with it off. The added weight of the camper changes the way the truck sets.
It doesn't wear like that when you're not carrying the camper because then the alignment is correct for the weight it's carrying.
I have this same problem with my work trucks. When you get a new truck and have a utility bed installed and fill it full of tools and supplies you have to get the truck aligned or it will tear the front tires all up.
If you mostly haul the camper I'd align it that way. If you mostly drive empty I'd align it that way. If it's pretty even split you may have to get a shop to sort of put it half way between "correct" for each situation and just deal with the tire wear.
Carrying a big heavy truck camper is going to make your tires wear out faster anyway so be prepared for that. I doubt you'll get more than about 30,000 miles on a set of tires with really heavy loads.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/21 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like KD4UPL says, get an alignment with the camper on. Hopefully that is the way you use it the most. If you use it about the same with and without the camper, then you may want to put about 1/2 the weight of the camper in the back (pallet of bocks?) and then get the alignment. It won't be right for either application but will be close for both. The other things is make sure you rotate the tires about every 5,000 miles.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/21 01:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be nothing but what are the scale weights with and without the camper?

Typically the center of gravity for the camper is pretty close to the rear axle and shouldn't significantly impact the front axle weight.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mizdeb

United States

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/21 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sold that camper but was thinking of getting a different one. So I can't weigh anything now.

tlowe43q

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/21 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As above mentioned, take it to a truck shop and align with camper and full water …j

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/21 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mizdeb wrote:

I sold that camper but was thinking of getting a different one. So I can't weigh anything now.

Not a bad idea to get the base axle weights, so you know what you have available to work with.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mizdeb wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

I had just had front end worked on & alignment done.

take it to a different place and get itchecked, ask around who does the best alignments and go there. it took me 3 shops before I found one that actualy does it right.

as for load in or load off, I havent noticed a difference, I got the alignment empty and when I have my camper in Iam atmax, when I have the 5th wheel on Im almost at max. more miles loaded than empty and everything is fine.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front axle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.