Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Simplest battery monitor and shunt? Advice for non-expert
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Simplest battery monitor and shunt? Advice for non-expert

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/21 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

This monitor is the one I have. It is an awesome little unit.

I had one of these a couple years ago, and it was ok for some basic information, but I had a hard time setting up some of the parameters. I ended up giving it away after I had my solar system installed. But for $30, not much to lose.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 122 Nights
2022- 85 Nights

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

corvettekent wrote:

I also like simple so I bought the Aili battery monitor. It is only $44. There are a couple options to buy a longer wire so measure before you buy.

I'll second this one. a generic version of the Victron that works just as well at 1/5 the price, just doesnt have bluetooth. very simple install remove your negitive patery cable, run a new short one from the battery to this, then your old cable you tookoff on to the other end of the shunt. run a tiny power wire to the shunt, then find a place to dril the small hole run the wire and your done. inital setting you just enter how many AH your battery is and your off.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To me the "most basic and inexpensive way" to monitor your battery voltage inside your TT is to run a pos and neg wire from your battery and terminate the wires on the front wall of your TT and check with your multimeter. I put mine on an inside wall with a std bolt head for neg and a Philips head for positive. Above this I have a chart showing what the state of charge is by voltage readings. It was a no cost way to monitor my battery SOC.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Voltage alone is a poor way to check state of charge. The batteries need to be at rest for quite a while to get a meaningful reading. This means no charge or discharge. A meter that keeps track of the amount of charge and discharge (amps in minus amps out) is a far better choice.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a dilemma. In order to accurately measure what is "left" in the battery, one needs to know the capacity. How many folks have actually performed a test to determine the number of amp-hours available?

But, even if one did, capacity is affected by temperature, age, demand and other factors.

I solved the issue by having a bank that was about the size of the original Tesla power wall, and solar to maintain and recharge between trips.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first question you need to consider is if you want a coulomb counter that directly measures amp-hours in and amp-hours out of your battery to calculate state of charge, or you want a volt meter to infer state of charge from voltage and a chart with a bunch of caveats. Many of the suggestions above are volt meters.

It sounds like the OP is interested in the coulomb counter (ie with a shunt), which is a good idea. Particularly if you have solar, it is hard to interpret what the voltage means as the battery is always being charged at a variable rate during the day, so the voltage can vary wildly as a cloud moves in front of the sun. You can really only get a meaningful reading first thing in the morning.

For coulomb counters there are three basic options:
1. The no-name ebay/amazon versions (AiLi, Renogy and the like). These are the least expensive option, but have some limitations, they only provide an instantaneous value without any history or configuration, and no bluetooth connection.
2. The Victron smart shunt - which is bluetooth only, is configurable and provides history and performance metrics.
3. The Victron BMV-712 which is essentially the same as the smart shunt, but includes an LCD display to mount inside the camper.

There is a fourth option - the TriMetric, which was the bees knees 20 years ago but is now completely overpriced and out of date and not worth considering.

My suggestion (as stated before) unless you are funds limited, go with option 2 or 3. They are a bit more expensive than option 1, but provide more useful information and are the 'standard' in battery monitors. Bit if your budget is tight, option 1 will work well enough.

There is one other option, the Balmar SmartGauge, which hooks up like a voltmeter but actually measures battery capacity. It is easy to hook up and quite accurate, but is expensive and will only work with lead acid batteries.

* This post was edited 12/15/21 08:59am by FWC *

Ramblin' Ralph

Central California Coast

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed one these a couple of years ago and am very happy with it. No shunt to wire. Only pass the negative lead through a coil. Mine was shipped from US, but now from China, so longer delivery. Also, no bluetooth, but only $40.

Battery Monitor

Edit: Forgot to mention that it's wireless between the monitor electronics and the display.

* This post was edited 12/15/21 09:59am by Ramblin' Ralph *

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

KMLsquared

Cotati CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a BM2 Bluetooth battery monitor for $30. Only measure voltage but it has history trends of battery voltage. It has been very useful and even allowed me to catch a failing battery. It's really nice to check my battery state in the morning without even getting out of bed.

2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I find strange about my Victron unit is that either it or my Android phone insists location service be turned on.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used an Innova 3721 for 9 years now. No installation, no shunt. When you want to know your battery voltage, just plug it into a 12V socket and wait a few minutes for the reading to stabilize. I suppose you could leave it plugged in all the time, but I don't. It can move to any vehicle or camper or device with a live 12V socket. About $20. I write the readings, one for day start and one for day end, into my daily travel logbook.

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Simplest battery monitor and shunt? Advice for non-expert
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.