Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Are chips coming available?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Are chips coming available?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW has said for quite sometime as to why we can't maker things here. Local Freighliner dealer parts guy told me a couple weeks ago that he had to tell a customer w/ a brand new 6 wheeler box truck w/ 8K miles that he has to wait some 20+ weeks for some module.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/21 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

DW has said for quite sometime as to why we can't maker things here. Local Freighliner dealer parts guy told me a couple weeks ago that he had to tell a customer w/ a brand new 6 wheeler box truck w/ 8K miles that he has to wait some 20+ weeks for some module.

Tell her, cost my dear, cost.

And that's the reason for your addiction to Walmart and Costco stuff buying things you don't need, to impress the people you don't know and only for it to end up in extra storage we have to rent then forget that we already have it... then go back to that same cycle, again and again.

But don't tell her to stop as we will go on recession if she does. And China too and the rest of the world.

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have CEOs learned that buying the cheapest part may not be the best buy long term just like it took the energy crisis to teach us to be petroleum self-sufficient? I hope so.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

I read that Ford has invested to build/partner it's own Chips. Can't imagine why it took this long. A major no no in manufacturing is not having redundancy for parts supply. Lack of Chips has crippled the entire auto industry and it took 2 years for them to start finding alternative sources or making them themselves? Bizarre.

I am not sure it is quite that simple. The companies that design these integrated circuits (ICs, aka 'chips') have spent decades refining their design and IP. Similarly the foundries that make these have also spent decades dialing in their processes to build transistors that are less than 10 nanometers across. The reason Ford and all the other automobile and widget manufacturers buy these parts from TI, NXP, Infineon, Samsung etc is that they don't have the experience or knowledge to make them. Sure they could partner with current ICs manufacturers to increase production, but they are unlikely to actually be designing and manufacturing their own ICs anytime soon.

Not even Apple makes it's own processors/ICs, they license the architecture from ARM in the UK and have the chips made by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSMC).

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Hey Bob, hope they gave him a loaner! Kinda hard to do without a work truck for that long, or have to rent.

Jerry

Nope, no loaners available. He is trying to operate out of his wifes SUV...

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

ACZL wrote:

Tell her, cost my dear, cost.

And that's the reason for your addiction to Walmart and Costco stuff buying things you don't need, to impress the people you don't know and only for it to end up in extra storage we have to rent then forget that we already have it... then go back to that same cycle, again and again.

But don't tell her to stop as we will go on recession if she does. And China too and the rest of the world.

Funny coming from someone wanting a Cybertruck, good for nothing but impressing neighbors when the local powergrid fails again.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No chip shortage down here. Lays, Wise , Cape Cod, I can buy them all!

Merry Christmas, peace on RV.NET....maybe? [emoticon]

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in the industry about 20 years ago. While things are getting a little bit better all of the new factories will not be online until 2023 and not up to full capacity until 2024.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What few people know is the fact that Ford DID try to design their own chips but could not get any of the major "fabs" to play along !

Ford Microelectronics was founded in 1982, while Ford still owned Ford Aerospace (a minor defense/weapons contractor) and long before they spun off Visteon. They closed shop in 1999.

The only thing that they had a hand in designing was the EEC-V chip (aka 8065). The EEC-IV chip (8061) was designed and fabbed by Intel. The commercialized version of this chip was the 8096.

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/21 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford and Toyota in particular were also hit by a fire at the chip factory that they depended on (Japan I think). That factory did come back on line this last summer, but the sales backlog will take a while to work out. The whole "just in time" auto assembly business is based on parts constantly arriving on time. Ya, it's inexpensive. Ford revenues are only down 5%--amazing. Remember GM's Saturn startup? The original concept was that customers would go into the dealer and order the exact car that they wanted receiving it a few weeks later. Well, that's now how Ford Super Duty purchasing works, except that it's more than a few weeks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Are chips coming available?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.