Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Ever Notice?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Ever Notice?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever been to a Western style competition?

Those people are amazing. 17 or 24 inch target at 21'?
And they don't miss or they loose.

I watched as a guy drew and shot two balloons 5' apart. He got both and it sounded like a single shot.

Then there are the horseback guys that shoot 6 balloons going in and another six coming out. We were camped close by at a fair ground and I thought it was annoying until I took the time to watch.

Then there is Jerry Miculek. If you get a chance to see him, just do it. Watching him reload is like trying to see and airbag go off.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

salem wrote:

IDK if pockets were normal during that time period or not. I have read that making left and right shoos is a fairly new invention. Prior to that you just slipped them on regardless of which foot. I appreciate everyone's comments. I was afraid I was the only one who enjoys noticing unusual little trivia.

Pocket Watch?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

Back a number of years ago, I saw on something like the History channel, that most of those quick draw shootouts back then were highly inaccurate, and the opponents often emptied their guns without hitting each other, (unless they actually aimed). [emoticon]

I would bet, if I had a way to prove it, that throughout the history of firearms the highest percentage of hits/shots fired was when single shot was normal. Even with police, that we hope are trained, we hear of dozens of shots fired that do not hit the target.
Back in the day, friends said you only need to worry about the round with your name on it. I lost blood to 1 addressed to "To whom it may concern"
But talking old TV westerns, ever count how many times they shoot a 6 gun?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/21 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed McGivern set a record back in the 30's that still stands: shooting five rounds from a double-action revolver at 15 feet in 2/5 of a second, and covering the group with his hand.

Oh yeah, he was 57 at the time. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/21 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, well, since we're talking about guns, Marshal Dillon was shot 56 times over the course of his career. (No, I didn't actually count them, just looked it up)[emoticon]

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/21 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, without cheating, who was James Arness' younger brother in real life? Hint: He played a secret agent in a television series.

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/21 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that one! Peter Graves.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Salem, Bingo! Extra bonus points if you can tell me what popular television series Peter Graves starred in.

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charlestonsouthern: I would have to look that up, which wouldn't be fair. Seems like one of the series he was in had a little boy and a horse. (I'm really dating myself here) My Friend Flicka or some program like that. Getting back to Arness, when I was a very small child my brother and I watched A THING FROM ANOTHER PLANET. Arness played the THING. I don't think he had any speaking parts. That movie gave us both nightmares. I'm sure compared to today's scary movies it would be like watching a Disney cartoon.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Levi Strauss didn't put rear pockets on his denims until 1901, according to their history link. The two hours of online research I did didn't turn up anything specific about rear pockets until the turn of the 20th century.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Ever Notice?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.