Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Is all DEF the same?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Is all DEF the same?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/21 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

When my wife heard about the DEF shortage she ordered 4 jugs from Walmart . Got it the next day , free delivery . I sure wish some one would tell her that there is a shortage of Snicker bars and Krispy Kreme donuts !

Panic buying and hoarding will create the alledged shortage.
It becomes a self fullfilling prophecy

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/21 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

To my surprise, another clerk said not to buy the FRAM brand that it can cause issues?

I know nothing about DEF. But I love the way FRAM always gets kicked about like everything they make is bad.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/21 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

way2roll wrote:

To my surprise, another clerk said not to buy the FRAM brand that it can cause issues?

I know nothing about DEF. But I love the way FRAM always gets kicked about like everything they make is bad.

They used to produce quality products once upon a time. Now they rely on their name and make cheap stuff. They bought a lot of Cummins engines in the 90's with their oil filters coming apart and clogging the cooling nozzles.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/21 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

When my wife heard about the DEF shortage she ordered 4 jugs from Walmart . Got it the next day , free delivery . I sure wish some one would tell her that there is a shortage of Snicker bars and Krispy Kreme donuts !

since DEF has a shelf life, unlike TP, I hope you've got lots of travel plans made or you'll end up dumping some. At room temp shelf life is 1-2 years, depending on who's info you trust.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/21 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

wanderingbob wrote:

Panic buying and hoarding will create the alledged shortage.
It becomes a self fullfilling prophecy

Exactly! I actually believe in some instances these sort of "shortages" are artificially created in order to increase consumption and raise prices. All you have to float is an internet statement that looks real enough to ignite a flurry of reactions like this thread and increase your bottom line.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/21 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't the US get a lot or most of it's urea from Canada?

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/21 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In an emergency...

[image]

Wonder if consuming 140 proof increases the octane/cetane value...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/21 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Doesn't the US get a lot or most of it's urea from Canada?

Link

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/21 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Nv Guy wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I think the bigger story is the shortage of DEF due to Urea and China holding back shipments of this raw material. The next big story will be a shortage of fertilizer.

Shortage is in S Korea and Australia. Spreading "shortage" stories like this only creates panic buying.
No one on several other forums I frequent has reported not being able to find DEF. Even the poorly stocked Wal Mart near me has 3 different brands of DEF available.

I'll just put my blindfolds on and the problem will go away.

I've read a couple places that DEF will soon be in short supply, but I haven't seen it yet. All the gas stations still seem to have it available. That said, when I was in Walmart this week I picked up two jugs just to be safe (plenty there too). That should get me well past the time my new Jeep is built, and the current one is happily with another owner.

I hope that prediction isn't correct (although I don't doubt it). That could really put further limitations on an already strained supply chain.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/21 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Nv Guy wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I think the bigger story is the shortage of DEF due to Urea and China holding back shipments of this raw material. The next big story will be a shortage of fertilizer.

Shortage is in S Korea and Australia. Spreading "shortage" stories like this only creates panic buying.
No one on several other forums I frequent has reported not being able to find DEF. Even the poorly stocked Wal Mart near me has 3 different brands of DEF available.

I'll just put my blindfolds on and the problem will go away.

I've read a couple places that DEF will soon be in short supply, but I haven't seen it yet. All the gas stations still seem to have it available. That said, when I was in Walmart this week I picked up two jugs just to be safe (plenty there too). That should get me well past the time my new Jeep is built, and the current one is happily with another owner.

I hope that prediction isn't correct (although I don't doubt it). That could really put further limitations on an already strained supply chain.

I've been to a couple of Wal Marts, Tractor Supply Co., and O Reily's parts store and their DEF shelves were empty.

Off topic but what type of Jeep did you order?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Is all DEF the same?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.