Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Replacing Elec brakes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacing Elec brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will second or third or fourth agree with checking or just plain redoing the wiring connections first.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Jethroish

Scottsburg, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Follow up:
After another quick check of things (adjustments, elec connections and voltage), along with finding 2 elec brake distributors to chat with, I am going with the magnets are just worn out. The wear hole indicators are either gone or barely visible. This trailer rolls 10k to 12k miles per year at 12k to 13k pounds, so I guess it is no surprise.
IMO, I highly doubt the brake assemblies are meant or expected to last that many miles. Realistically, unless you are a full timer, most TTs or 5ers probably do not see 30k miles in their life time.

Don't let your work become your life.
2018 RAM 3500 Dually 4x4 crew cab,
2015 Shadow Select 4 horse LQ w/slide out
2021 Jayco JayFlight SLX 264BH

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/21 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. If I was doing this, I would replace all 4 Drum assemblies at about $100 each. This gives you new BRAKE SHOES and Magnets and is very EASY to do. Also have a local shop turn the drums
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter-Axle/23-180-181.html
2. The CORRECT test for the brakes is NOT using your brake Controller. If you suspect Magnets, I would apply 12 volts direct to the Brake Pin on the 7 way tow cord or just pull the break away and see if all 4 lock up. Doug

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/21 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the wires where they come out of the axles. It's a wear point the insulation on the wires get chaffed and cause a lot of issues. If that's the issue run a wire outside upper part of the axle, secure with zip ties.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/21 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jethroish wrote:

Follow up:
After another quick check of things (adjustments, elec connections and voltage), along with finding 2 elec brake distributors to chat with, I am going with the magnets are just worn out. The wear hole indicators are either gone or barely visible. This trailer rolls 10k to 12k miles per year at 12k to 13k pounds, so I guess it is no surprise.
IMO, I highly doubt the brake assemblies are meant or expected to last that many miles. Realistically, unless you are a full timer, most TTs or 5ers probably do not see 30k miles in their life time.

Beat me to it...people talk about years and that works OK for typical use but your average RV may only get 2-5k miles per year. Miles will provide a better estimate of wear. Really it's brake use that wears them out, so non-freeway driving is the killer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yep, highway miles is different that city miles.
I used to turn the brakes almost off in the city back when I had a cheapo controller. I just did not need the braking power to stop fast when speeds were low. On the highway I just never needed to do a lot of braking, so my brakes could go miles and miles.
Now that I have a high-end controller I leave it alone, it brakes softly when the truck does, and brakes harder when the truck does, less wear than a timed controller that brakes soft a second, then increases braking forces over a few seconds. Best $200 spent.

I would not replace the drums until they need replacing. $400 (4x100) might be pocket change for some, but most would rather not toss that money away needlessly, and I would never go disc on a regular trailer. Drums are fine for most sized trailers. DIsc are wonderful, but I cannot justify the expense when the drums are more than enough. Most tow vehicles do not need trailer brakes to begin with, which of course is of opinion. I still cringe to think dear old dad towing the family trailer with the station wagon equipped with 4 drum brakes, on the car, not the trailer, none on the trailer.

Jethroish

Scottsburg, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/22 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

I still cringe to think dear old dad towing the family trailer with the station wagon equipped with 4 drum brakes, on the car, not the trailer, none on the trailer.

LOL. I think of that every time a discussion arises about tow vehicles. The old 72 Buick station wagon with 350 - 4 barrel had plenty of power to tow. My grandparent used one to tow a tt from Washington to Michigan and back.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those old 3 speed transmissions did not have locking torque converters either.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacing Elec brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.