Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Towing capacity
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/22 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a previous 2016 25WB Work and Play toy hauler owner, believe what others say. 2013 Chevy Silverado 5.3 v8 with 373 rear gear. Trailer advertised 6,600 empty. With blue ox hitch, and our gas golf cart, the Chevy strained in 4th gear to maintain 50-55 mph. Truck was squirrelly to drive at speed. The F 250 bought to replace the Chevy did a somewhat better job.

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/22 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"one correction, 300 lbs of passengers are already accounted for in the payload capacity. Also some amount of hitch wt, maybe 100 lbs(?) is also accounted for."

I don't think so... Payload usually does not include multiple passengers, just a 150# driver and half a tank of gas and does not address the WDH/weight.

We do agree the OP has way more trailer than truck...

[emoticon]

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/22 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tukus45 wrote:

Buying my first travel trailer and have a question. My truck is rated at 12500 towing capacity and the toy hauler I am looking at is 9900 dry weight. Am I going to heavy?

Best to truly know where you are in reference to YOUR TV, is to load it up as if going camping and weigh it. Axle by axle.

That then will provide a baseline to figure out the trailer(s) you wish to purchase.

Axle by axle, as the majority of any trailer (Fiver or tongue) will place it's weight on the TV's rear axle. Ditto most anything you load in/on the TV.

Then, as noted by others, the trailer's 'dry' weight is the bare bones without ANY options. Nor stuff you will load into/onto it.

Finally, the 'dry' weight PIN or tongue will provide the ballpark percentage PIN or tongue when fully loaded

Edit...then do the simple math by taking your loaded TV weight + Hitch weight + PIN/tongue and subtract it from the 12,500 lb MTWR...that will be the true MTWR of your loaded TV

Suggest either a smaller trailer or bigger TV if you are set on that trailer

Ask that you post back on how it goes for other newbies or lurkers out there that might learn from your exercise. Not enough newbies ever come back with info to help other newbies or lurkers

* This post was last edited 01/02/22 11:55am by BenK *   View edit history

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/22 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^Yes OP, post back with a bit more info.

If you have a 1/2 ton truck, that is capable of pulling a flat bed trailer loaded to 12.5K, it likely won't work for a toy hauler TT weighing close to that amount.

Now if it is a HD truck, that can carry the load, that may work for you. A HD gasser is often limited to a similar 12.5K tow capacity due to driveline limitations, or even receiver hitch limits.

Jerry

bikendan

Goodyear, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/22 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

"one correction, 300 lbs of passengers are already accounted for in the payload capacity. Also some amount of hitch wt, maybe 100 lbs(?) is also accounted for."

I don't think so... Payload usually does not include multiple passengers, just a 150# driver and half a tank of gas and does not address the WDH/weight.

[emoticon]

Towing Capacity usually includes a 150lb driver and full fuel tank.
Payload Capacity only includes the full fuel tank. The driver is considered as an Occupant and not factored into the Payload Capacity.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/22 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where does OP say what truck they have. They haven't.
No telling if as one noted, it may be limited by factory hitch...as my 05 dw Duramax was limited to 4500 or 5000 lbs, as it did not come with a hitch of any sort.
Legally speaking, OP can pull what ever they want. From a warranty and performance std that is given, pulling more wieght, or frontal area and a few other factors may make it so they have no warranty per say.
Reality, no one answering honestly knows IF the OPs TV can pull said toy hauler safely and sanely!

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/22 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Desert Captain wrote:

[emoticon]

Payload Capacity only includes the full fuel tank. The driver is considered as an Occupant and not factored into the Payload Capacity.

With 5-7tons on the hitch 1 or 2 passengers makes zero practical difference in payload or towing. Same story for a trailer half that size.
Recommendation, think twice about arguing over the minutia. It just shows you ignorance of the subject.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/22 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Where does OP say what truck they have. They haven't.
No telling if as one noted, it may be limited by factory hitch...as my 05 dw Duramax was limited to 4500 or 5000 lbs, as it did not come with a hitch of any sort.
Legally speaking, OP can pull what ever they want. From a warranty and performance std that is given, pulling more wieght, or frontal area and a few other factors may make it so they have no warranty per say.
Reality, no one answering honestly knows IF the OPs TV can pull said toy hauler safely and sanely!

Marty

Well put Marty. And Merry New Years! Finally some action in the “what can I tow categories!!”

The OP is either being intentionally vague, or more likely unintentionally knows absolutely nothing about trucks/trailers/towing and doesn’t even know how to ask the question properly.
So yeah, all the weight cops been chomping at the bit to reply, it appears.
Will see what the OP adds for pertinent info.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/22 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frankly surprised no one has scolded him for posting about a TH in the TT section! Typically that would come at the same time or even before the inane payload arguments come to life.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/22 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Desert Captain wrote:

[emoticon]

Dan and Captain,
SAE J2807 specifies 150 lb driver and 150 lb driver along with 100lbs of hitch equipment. All the OEM's have signed up to follow the standard.

“Tow Vehicle Total Weight” (TVTW) for testing for ¾- and 1-ton trucks allocates 150 pounds for the driver, 150 pounds for a passenger, the weight of all tow package equipment, and 100 pounds of optional equipment (hitch ball, weight distribution bars, and such) split evenly between the front and rear axles.

Motor Trend summary article on J2807 Cliky link

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Towing capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.