Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: New tires for 5'r
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New tires for 5'r

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
TnTtravelers

East Slope Sierra, California, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was going to trade in my old 2007 Everest fifth wheel but found that my SRW F350 isn't capable of towing the trailer we really want, so I'll be buying new tires for the old 5'r to get a little more use out of it till I eventually upgrade my TV.

So, being that the XPS ribs on the trailer now are over 10 years old (still in good appearance) I should replace the tires on the trailer before hitting the road. I haven't been keeping up on which tires are most reliable these days so I'm reaching out for suggestions or what to avoid and recommendations on what tires to purchase. I'd go with the XPS ribs again, as they've been very good and reliable tires, but I'd hate to invest that kind of money into a trailer that will likely be traded in within a year, so I'm thinking I should go with a more affordable ST this time, but still want the most reliable ST tire available.

Thanks in advance for any tire suggestions. We're planning a lengthily road trip in a couple of weeks so I will need to get some tires ordered up for the trailer right as soon as I can.

Tim and Tina (kudo too)
Livin' good, while the livin's good!

2005 Ford F350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short box
2007 Everest 295TS 5th Wheel, Superglide hitch
JT Stabilizers">
Firestone Air Suspension System
TST tire pressure mntr system

Rollochrome

Fort Worth, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/22 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a write up on my recent search and purchase.

It's a few pages back.

Carlisle CSL 16 is what you want.

1999 Saved By Grace Alone Thru Faith Alone! Thank You Jesus!
2019 F-350 LWB 6.7 4wd XLT-FX4-3.31 on Michelin Defender LTX M/S
2022 3850BH Cruiser South Fork on Carlisle CSL 16

rich and char

N.J.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/22 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look into the Sailuns S637's, I replaced my GY tires with them.
Many positive reviews. I personaly had no problems and replace with the same when the time comes. Much more cost effective also.

Rich,

2011 F-350/CC/LB/Drw/6.7L
2013 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS "Pearl Edition" Trail-Air Pin Box
Pullrite 20.5K Super 5th

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GY Endurance made in USA

TnTtravelers

East Slope Sierra, California, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks folks, for your input.

GaryP, I do like the idea of "made in USA", hmm. Are the goodyears known for reliability?

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TnTtravelers wrote:

Thanks folks, for your input.

GaryP, I do like the idea of "made in USA", hmm. Are the goodyears known for reliability?

There are simply no non road hazard blowouts on the ENDURANCE line of tires. Only complaint is from the people that don't like GY and will say the tread is too thin @ 8/32". I have a set on my Boat Trailer that are dated Summer 2017. They have plenty of tread left at around 20,000 miles towing all Summer long at 70.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TnTtravelers wrote:

I was going to trade in my old 2007 Everest fifth wheel but found that my SRW F350 isn't capable of towing the trailer we really want, so I'll be buying new tires for the old 5'r to get a little more use out of it till I eventually upgrade my TV.

So, being that the XPS ribs on the trailer now are over 10 years old (still in good appearance) I should replace the tires on the trailer before hitting the road. I haven't been keeping up on which tires are most reliable these days so I'm reaching out for suggestions or what to avoid and recommendations on what tires to purchase. I'd go with the XPS ribs again, as they've been very good and reliable tires, but I'd hate to invest that kind of money into a trailer that will likely be traded in within a year, so I'm thinking I should go with a more affordable ST this time, but still want the most reliable ST tire available.

Change the tires without question. 5 to 6 yrs is my limit on trailer tires!!! I like Good year LT tires and have had good service with few tire problems over the years.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace them with the same commercial grade all steel ply carcass Bridgestone R238. You get the same size and load range commercial grade tire as the XPS ribs but at a lower price. Their the tops for 6k axles and smaller.
Great selling point for selling your trailer.

The Endurance is just another poly carcass tire and can't be compared to a commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire.
If you go with a poly carcass ST tire the only ST tire that size/load range I would use or recommend is the...Providers..Carlisle HD....Endurance which are at the top in load C/D/E tires. These three ST tires have very few tire complaints.

The Sailun S637 is a Load G load range (14 ply rated) tire at 4080/4400 lbs capacity at 110 psi which requires a 110 psi rated trailer wheel. Way too much Over kill for 5.2k/6k axle .

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/22 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Travelstar-HF288-Trailer-Tire-ST205-75R15-107M-LRD-8PLY/463070902

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/22 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Endurance get good reviews but you might not find them readily available. Sailuns were the best (opinion) until they were outsourced to Vietnam in 2020/21, and some are on the recall. Some folks praise Hercules and Carlisles. XPS Ribs are expensive, where the others are less.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New tires for 5'r
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.