Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Happijac new vs old?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Happijac new vs old?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yet sadly, no alternative.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/22 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, to finish this out:

I bought four new 4820 jacks. The new jacks work fine as a replacement for the 4500 and 4150 jacks. Motors fit on top, all the holes in the same place, etc. The new ones are about 3 inches longer than the old. They have zinc plated lower tubes and a dust scraper on the leg.

The literature and some magazine reports say they are much stronger, however the tube size and wall thickness are the same as the old, and they weigh the same (26 lbs). Therefore they cannot be much stronger or stiffer than the old ones if at all. The upper tube being a few inches longer will add a little but not much.

Mounting one on one side of the front, I tested the new alongside the old one still on the other side. There was no significant difference in current drawn by the motors, when both of them are activated they run about the same speed with the same sound. This strongly implies that the torque required is similar. Given that the old ones were ball screw and the new ones Acme screw, the old ones should be easier operating. But another difference is the new ones have a roller thrust washer while the old ones have a plain greased washer. The two primary sources of friction are the nut and the thrust washer contributing about equally. The old one with low friction ball screw but high friction thrust washer seem to behave about the same as the new one with high friction Acme screw and low friction roller thrust washer. That makes the new ones better in my opinion since the Acme screw is more robust and less affected by dirt. In addition, though I did not disassemble them to confirm, the new ones reportedly allow easy removal of the Acme nut for cleaning, greasing, or replacement while the old ball nuts are pretty much not serviceable.

So to summarize the new ones aren't stronger, don't operate much easier, but are probably longer lived and certainly more serviceable. They can be used as a replacement for the old without changing the motors or controller.

Joe417

AL

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/22 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is good info to know. Nice to have someone prove the fit without speculation.

I wonder why Happijac/Lippert wouldn't confirm the jack as a replacement.

Thanks..

* This post was edited 01/18/22 09:16pm by Joe417 *

Joe & Evelyn

daily double

ketchum ok.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/22 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need a jack head motor, just 1. Does anybody know where to get one? part # 182515.

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/22 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can often find the head motors on Ebay.

I've replaced the back jacks now too, with the same result. They run about the same speed and work the motor just as hard.

Oregun

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/22 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HMS Beagle wrote:

You can often find the head motors on Ebay.

I've replaced the back jacks now too, with the same result. They run about the same speed and work the motor just as hard.

I got one here -> https://pantherrvproducts.com

daily double

ketchum ok.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/22 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I contacted them, they don't have any.

Dodgemahal

Idaho panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/22 01:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a replacement motor from Etrailer. To rebuild and replace one at a time as I found the time. And have an extra just in case. They were back ordered for about three months. It finally showed up. I had canceled another order after waiting for months the year before from another company. I don't have a very high opinion of Lippert so far. You may be stuck ordering and waiting. It seems just about everything is out of stock now. Or grossly overpriced. I guess welcome to 2022.[emoticon]

Almost new to truck camping. Truck is a 2001 Dodge 3500 Dual rear wheel with a few performance mods. Camper is a 2005 Bigfoot 2500 9.6 with Lithiums. The trailer carries gear, one quad, two kayaks, two bicycles, and a 3700kw generator.

egarant

Mission Viejo CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/22 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it is too bad they won't sell or even repair the older motors. I spoke with Tyler the "guy in the basement" that used to repair the older motors. He told me the older ones are easy to re-build and asked management to continue the repair service, but was shot down, they want to sell the new ones that as you already know entail a new circuit board and possible upgraded wiring to the jack plugs.

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 2K Watt Xantrex Inverter, Reonogy MPPT Charge Controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Happijac new vs old?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.