Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Wifi options
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wifi options

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/22 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

I've also been looking at Visible. Do you just swap SIM cards in your current phone or did you get another phone just to use as a hotspot?

agesilaus wrote:

Visible uses Verizon and has a great unlimited hotspot. We find that Verizon has the best coverage , ATT second best. But if you have any cell service and want better service get a cell booster. We have one and are seldom without usable service. And we boondock.

If your phone qualifies they send you a sim, otherwise they sell phones, often at a good discount and may throw in a kickback cash. We have had good luck with them with the exception of an incident last year, an update seemed to have bricked my phone so I have had to replace it. Otherwise no problems, be sure to know your pw when an update happens they will require it. They have a bargain price of $25/mo if you join one of their groups.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a good cell booster and they are not cheap and one that has an external antenna option. On my older one the antenna is mounted on the roof and the internal amplifier and antenna was very adequate for cell service. An external Yagi antenna mounted on a pole was not necessary but consider that possibility for your locations. This is what I call parked mobile.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

amontanagl

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Get a good cell booster and they are not cheap and one that has an external antenna option. On my older one the antenna is mounted on the roof and the internal amplifier and antenna was very adequate for cell service. An external Yagi antenna mounted on a pole was not necessary but consider that possibility for your locations. This is what I call parked mobile.

I just googled the cell boosters with antenna, they are on the expensive side...will research them some more...thanks!

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/22 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know! Try this - Cobble something to raise your cell phone 28' and test. Why 28' ask after the test, but elevation can be a big factor.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/22 04:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FMCA tech connect is 50/month plus 50 setup and the annual membership fee,Uses sprint/T=mobile NO LIMIT on date no throttling if you hit xxx Gig per month.

But like all cellular providers it is not 100 % coverage.. There are dead spots.
(Coverage among the bit 3,, AT&T, Verizon and the T-mobile family (T-Mobile, Sprint, Metro, Boost and a few others) is very close but the deadspots are different)

Star Link is, I believe, in Beta with their Low Earth Orbit satellites the chinease are type b itching about and that is about the limit of my knowledge.

Hughes net also works on Sats but Geo-Sync not LEO so the ping times are longer.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/22 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another Jetpack user here (Verizon). Has never failed us in the 15 years we've been using it.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/22 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're in MT and have little or no cell service, than you're only real option is satellite internet. Starlink would cover you except they are not allowing mobile use at this time. Only fixed location.

Both Amazon and Boeing are working on implementing their own satellite internet services.

amontanagl

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/22 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

FMCA tech connect is 50/month plus 50 setup and the annual membership fee,Uses sprint/T=mobile NO LIMIT on date no throttling if you hit xxx Gig per month.

But like all cellular providers it is not 100 % coverage.. There are dead spots.
(Coverage among the bit 3,, AT&T, Verizon and the T-mobile family (T-Mobile, Sprint, Metro, Boost and a few others) is very close but the deadspots are different)

Star Link is, I believe, in Beta with their Low Earth Orbit satellites the chinease are type b itching about and that is about the limit of my knowledge.

Hughes net also works on Sats but Geo-Sync not LEO so the ping times are longer.

Thanks for the info...I do know that T-mobile sucks in the state of MT, so will stay away from anything that uses them. I am thinking that if I want anything it would have to be a satellite type setup.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/22 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have weak cell service, you need to start with a good antenna.b probably dual yagis mounted on top of a tall pole. He higher the better but I would say 10'-12' minimum.

Watch this video FINALLY...A RURAL Internet Service that WORKS!

* This post was edited 01/04/22 11:34am by theoldwizard1 *

TechWriter

Part-Timing Again

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/22 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

amontanagl wrote:

1. Would a mobile hotspot work for this type of camping situation?
2. If you use a mobile hotspot....which service provider do you have?
3. I don't think Wifi boosters or repeaters would work for us...am I correct in thinking this?

Well, it depends on what, if any, cell service is available.

As previously mentioned, you can try Verizon’s Visible system. They send you a phone you can use as a hotspot or remove the phone’s SIM card and put it in a hotspot. I did the latter when I had Visible. Visible is cheap, but the Verizon network it uses is also cheap. However, it’s a good place to start.

I think all the major cell carriers all have hotspot data plans. The smart thing to do is to have a Verizon and an AT&T data plan.

* This post was edited 01/04/22 03:40pm by TechWriter *

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 gasser)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 gasser)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Wifi options
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.