Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Electric Chevy Silverado Debut
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Electric Chevy Silverado Debut

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll let all the guinea pigs figure this EV thing out, until then I'll be buying and using ICE vehicles, no questions about what to expect with them...heck, I might not even live long enough to even have a chance at using an EV.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

ACZL wrote:

Yup, towing range IMO will be reduced to peanuts on either brand. Again, IMO, useless. Charging? Well that's a debate all in itself, but while on last outing last fall, CG owner told us he's expanding and installing HD power to those sites so folks can charge their EV vehicles. Guess ya can't with standard power (I'm not an electrical expert by any means). He went onto say that he say one camper w/ a lil genny running to charge up his EV. Makes a lot os sense doesn't it???

No idea on towing. Guess we’ll have to wait and see. Although I don’t think most 1/2 ton owners tow heavy trailers much.

Re he power. Most EV’s are charged with “standard power”. Usually a 14-50 Nema Stove plug commonly found on a campground pedestal or less. My guess is many campgrounds will upgrade by either doing what KOA is doing and putting a 40 amp EVSE on the pedestal or having a bunch of EVSE’s or maybe just extra Nema 14-50 plugs somewhere in a parking area. Should be a good revenue stream for those that do.

JMHO.

More power to the campsites would be nice but a few high power chargers in a common area might be easier to put in and would bail out those that need a charge in a hurry. Charging a pickup on a 50A 240V outlet could take 10 to 15 hours.

Yes agreed. But I don’t think you’ll see DC fast charging at campgrounds or hotels. In my opinion it wouldn't make sense. At campgrounds and hotels the client is there at least overnight so they have all night to charge. Equipment outlay for the campground is minimal compared to DC fast charging. It would be difficult for the operator to justify the expense of the DC fast charge equipment. And I’m not sure how many clients would use it. I know I certainly wouldn’t pay a premium to fast charge. Let it charge while I sleep. If someone is in a hurry just go find a Supercharger or DC fast charger.

JMHO. Not an expert.

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/22 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Charging a pickup on a 50A 240V outlet could take 10 to 15 hours."

Yes, Groover, but that's about my length of stay for an overnight, so it would work for me at least. However, I'd rather boondock.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Yes agreed. But I don’t think you’ll see DC fast charging at campgrounds or hotels. In my opinion it wouldn't make sense. At campgrounds and hotels the client is there at least overnight so they have all night to charge. Equipment outlay for the campground is minimal compared to DC fast charging. It would be difficult for the operator to justify the expense of the DC fast charge equipment. And I’m not sure how many clients would use it. I know I certainly wouldn’t pay a premium to fast charge. Let it charge while I sleep. If someone is in a hurry just go find a Supercharger or DC fast charger.

JMHO. Not an expert.

Digging up the campground to put in extra service isn't easy or cheap and providing that much service to every site could mean a huge increase in the power supply for the campground without a clear need for it. Putting in a fast charger would require much less digging and would clearly define the amount of power needed.

I feel sure that we will end up paying the for the infrastructure and power used no matter what the approach is. At least, that would be the case if I was the campground owner. Though I am sure that there are some I have yet to see a fast charger near any campground.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

JMHO. Not an expert.

Digging up the campground to put in extra service isn't easy or cheap and providing that much service to every site could mean a huge increase in the power supply for the campground without a clear need for it. Putting in a fast charger would require much less digging and would clearly define the amount of power needed.

I feel sure that we will end up paying the for the infrastructure and power used no matter what the approach is. At least, that would be the case if I was the campground owner. Though I am sure that there are some I have yet to see a fast charger near any campground.

Yah some good points. KOA is first down this road. Guess we’ll see how that goes for them.

Close to a campground is relative I guess. Just using our own experience I would say DC fast chargers are fairly common within 20 to 40 kilometres of many of the campgrounds we camp at.

Lots of change coming. I would think campgrounds will address it all on their own schedule. Having facilities at each site is probably not necessary for the next 30 or 50 years. Having 10 percent of the sites with a J1772 EVSE would probably be adequate for the next decade. Time will tell.

Cheers.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's another video with more details on this new truck including a WT model that can tow up to 20,000 lbs. Eight lug 24" wheels and 10 minute charge for 100 miles.

I have to say this is the best looking GM truck I've seen in a long time.

Link

* This post was edited 01/06/22 04:18pm by FishOnOne *

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Here's another video with more details on this new truck including a WT model that can tow up to 20,000 lbs. Eight lug 24" wheels and 10 minute charge for 100 miles.

I have to say this is the best looking GM truck I've seen in a long time.

Link

Thanks for posting. Good video. Good competition for the ford.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can’t help but think that Ram will have a little advantage here. They’ll see everything that Ford and Chevy have done and learn from there.

Jmho.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/22 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

More power to the campsites would be nice but a few high power chargers in a common area might be easier to put in and would bail out those that need a charge in a hurry. Charging a pickup on a 50A 240V outlet could take 10 to 15 hours.

I'm betting most will utilize govt grants/tax rebates, so it will have to be available to the general public...so most likely a few sites near the front office.

If we are lucky, they will upgrade the main feed so in the summer when you see brownouts, it will provide better power to the RVs.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/22 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Here's the new Electric Silverado

Link

At $107.000 I dont think it will sell very well.

And No doubt the dealers will tack on ten grand or more like Ford does w their MachE.

But good luck GM

Ill wait for Cbrtk so dont need to worry about rust or place to charge when traveling cross country.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Electric Chevy Silverado Debut
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.