Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: More efficient propane furnace
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> More efficient propane furnace

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/22 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

And you are willing to apply for a Darwin Award on the basis of a 25 cent sensor? No Thanks! When is the last time the sensor was tested?

Let me guess: You're one of those people who wears 3 face masks while driving alone...

Typically, the CO sensor self-tests itself - and the detector also has a manual test button. Most models have a running time counter that disables the detector and sounds an alarm after enough hours have accumulated to degrade sensor accuracy.

If it's really that much of concern to you, install two CO detectors - or three, just to be extra, extra-sure. They're dirt-cheap, and readily available.

You'd think that if there was a significant danger associated with catalytic heaters, there would be at least one published news story about some hapless RVer being killed by one.

They've been sold for many decades. Camco sells a boatload of them.

Where are all the stories about death and carnage?

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/22 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

howardwheeler wrote:

I don't fulltime but I like to camp offgrid whenever I can. My furnace seems to be properly sized. When its cold out (20 degrees) it will run maybe 60% 0f the time. The coldest I've been is around zero and that ran 85 to 90% of the time. Looks like I need to live with it.

Well, that's a lot colder than I've ever been in while in the RV.. (maybe in the low 40's to upper 30's at the coldest).

I had the Propane furnace going for that and it would cycle about every 15-20 minutes after running for some 10-15 minutes.. Just a guess as I would eventually fall asleep, but it seemed every time I was "awake", it was running!

I only had the temp set to around 65* too... But, it was warm enough thru the night..

Even the Heat Pump I have at home does not work very well below 35* and I just switch it to aux heat (electric) at that point so it just does not run all day..

Keeping warm costs money no matter where you are at! [emoticon]

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/22 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

And you are willing to apply for a Darwin Award on the basis of a 25 cent sensor? No Thanks! When is the last time the sensor was tested?

Let me guess: You're one of those people who wears 3 face masks while driving alone...

Typically, the CO sensor self-tests itself - and the detector also has a manual test button. Most models have a running time counter that disables the detector and sounds an alarm after enough hours have accumulated to degrade sensor accuracy.

If it's really that much of concern to you, install two CO detectors - or three, just to be extra, extra-sure. They're dirt-cheap, and readily available.

You'd think that if there was a significant danger associated with catalytic heaters, there would be at least one published news story about some hapless RVer being killed by one.

Here is one

Not always from heaters either.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/22 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1.wa wrote:

Here is one

There is NOTHING in your article that cites an example of someone being killed by CO from a catalytic heater in an RV.

Millions of people own and use RVs. You'd think that if CO deaths from catalytic heaters in RVs were a problem, there would be a least a few news stories about it.

Where are those news stories?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/22 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1.wa wrote:

Skibane wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Here is one

Oops, try again. Someone got CO poisoning by running their generator effectively indoors….
That’s just extreme stupidity and the outcome would have been to be expected.
Go triple up your mask, Karen.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/22 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

msmith1.wa wrote:

Here is one

There is NOTHING in your article that cites an example of someone being killed by CO from a catalytic heater in an RV.

Millions of people own and use RVs. You'd think that if CO deaths from catalytic heaters in RVs were a problem, there would be a least a few news stories about it.

Don’t fool yourself it happens more often than you think.
If your CO2 detector fails you may never know it.

* This post was edited 01/09/22 06:45am by rhagfo *

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/22 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

msmith1.wa wrote:

Here is one

There is this thing called Google use for yourself and don't expect other's to do it for you.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/22 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two CO detectors and no catalytic heater.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/22 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No doubt CO is a real hazard, but it kinda makes me wonder whether some folks forget to open up a vent when running the oven or stove??…Recognizing and mitigating the hazard is what counts most…

3 tons

handsome51

Baytown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/22 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the furnace to warm my 5th wheel up. Then I use electric heaters to maintain the temperature in the 5th wheel. That way you don't use all the propane up. Been doing that for 15 years now.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> More efficient propane furnace
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.