Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Towing mileage/capability
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing mileage/capability

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/22 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I’ve never seen a 95 “1500HD”. I’d go as far as saying they don’t exist. While icbw, that designation and the corresponding heavier chassis with the 1500hd badging didn’t start until the gmt800 models.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/22 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 01/16/22 02:52pm by MitchF150 *

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/22 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 90s era dodge diesel pickup would tow better and give better mpg. That TT has too much frontal area for a Traverse or similar with v6, based on my experience with a Highlander.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Bluedeacon

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/22 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys. I did like my '95 but when the torque converter went, it took 3 weeks and over 500 pages to locate the correct one, rebuilt in Atlanta - 21 spline and 14", only 400 made. After I put it back together, the tc apparently took out the tranny despite what the tranny shop guy thought. Suzanne used a stool on a rope to get in and out of Big Blue. It's still in town, but in four years has had four owners and five trannys [emoticon]. Still my favorite outside of the Dakotas. Those with the 318 would handle it. Diesels are fine, I have driven and worked on school buses.

The trailer is 10'6" PLUS over a foot for the AC, so I count 12' for overpasses. It's 3200lbs. loaded; our stuff weighs 80 or so lbs, the groceries about 20, 150 lbs for a full gas tank, about 500 lbs for the two of us. Cat scale at Kwik Star said 3986 when truck weight was deducted. That's how I figure 4000 as an average.

From what I've read, newer trucks - even small ones - get better mpg not towing but same towing. I'm just open to possibilities. Blazers might tow nice, but can they stop? The '99 Dakota V6 might have managed with lower gearing, the '92 extended Dakota SLT with the Shelby 318 towed a 4500 lb rig for a coworker, but after I bought it I found a year in the frame was rusting through just behind the front suspension - a shame, nice truck otherwise. I'm just looking to see if there's better choices before I need to locate or overhaul a new vehicle. I'm not opposed to an old sedan or wagon but the height may be an issue.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/22 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You’re all over the board…from a new fwd car to an old station wagon and several completely different vehicles in between.
No one can give you much more meaningful advice unless you can hone in on a budget range and a type of vehicle you would prefer.
These “guess what I think I might want “ threads are just silly. Entertaining but silly…

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/22 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughter uses her Subaru Ascent to tow her 22', 3,500 pound (before loading) trailer. Doesn't even need weight distribution or sway control. She drove all over the western USA during the heart of the pandemic, home-schooling the grand-twins along the way. Those little 4 banger turbo's put out some great torque and get great mpg. Drop down that 3 row seat for the Labrador retriever, and off they went.

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/22 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You missed the weight of fresh water.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/22 12:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bluedeacon wrote:

The trailer is 10'6" PLUS over a foot for the AC, so I count 12' for overpasses. It's 3200lbs. loaded; our stuff weighs 80 or so lbs, the groceries about 20, 150 lbs for a full gas tank, about 500 lbs for the two of us. Cat scale at Kwik Star said 3986 when truck weight was deducted. That's how I figure 4000 as an average.

From what I've read, newer trucks - even small ones - get better mpg not towing but same towing. I'm just open to possibilities. Blazers might tow nice, but can they stop? The '99 Dakota V6 might have managed with lower gearing, the '92 extended Dakota SLT with the Shelby 318 towed a 4500 lb rig for a coworker, but after I bought it I found a year in the frame was rusting through just behind the front suspension - a shame, nice truck otherwise. I'm just looking to see if there's better choices before I need to locate or overhaul a new vehicle. I'm not opposed to an old sedan or wagon but the height may be an issue.

The brochure height includes the air/con.

True, the newer trucks don't get significantly different MPG while towing.

For towing, I want a body on frame rear wheel drive. If you flat land tow for minimal miles per year, you can get away with a light duty SUV but it's far from ideal.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BackOfThePack

Fort Worth

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/22 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many miles of annual towing?

The problem is emotional: spending more daily than one is used to doing.

Solo miles predominate and always will. That’s how one specs the TV.

The towing “penalty” is approx 40%.

The average RV’er travels 5k/miles-annually vacationing. Only a part of that is towing.

Call it 15-solo and 9-towing. At 3,500-miles towing it’s an additional 150-gals or so.

One can save FAR more than this by better vehicle use the rest of the year.

The FEELING of abnormality is the problem (one day “high” fuel purchases x days on road).

PERSPECTIVE is how to fix the non-problem.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/22 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure would be helpful if you would include a budget.

If you are looking for something a little more modern, either a RAM 1500 or Jeep Grand Cherokee could work well. Find one with the EcoDiesel and it solves your mileage concern both towing and solo. Find one with the air suspension and it will lower while parked to make it easier for your wife to get in.

An older full size 2500 diesel would also solve the MPG concerns, but way over kill for your trailer, and even is 4x2 form can be tall.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing mileage/capability
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.