Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Need help narrowing down 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Need help narrowing down 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/22 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Look at used like a 2019 or 2020 model, a lot of folks bought RVs and are getting out of them. Start a search on RV trader, you may be able to find what you are looking for below budget, and 1-2 years old is just like new, and in some cases better since the original owner had all of the warranty issues taken care of [emoticon]

Don't forget to search RVT, as well. Their search engine is =far= superior to Trader's, with many fewer false positives. Only downside is that Trader is still the 600 lb gorilla as far as postings.

Make sure you use their advanced search tools to filter down to an exact model, unless you want to do a more general search.

Another useful tool that I've used is called SearchTempest (www.searchtempest.com) that searches ALL Craigslist listings in the U.S., Canada and Mexico, as well as evil-bay and Amazon. Depending on what you're looking for, it's possible that it will return a huge load of irrelevant hits, but you can pare it down by using "-x -y -z", etc., to reduce the number of hits. Personally, I open =all= tabs at once and just close them as I look at them.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Vpolio90

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/22 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ken, the maximum payload capacity will be from about 3800lbs to 4000lbs. It will most likely be at 3900lbs from the videos I've seen with people with the same trim level. The 5wh GVWRs I've been looking at have been no more than 11500lbs therefore, having a max pin weight of 2300lbs (using the 20% rule). So I would have around 1600lbs not including passengers, extra cargo, 5wh hitch etc.

Yes, I agree we only plan to have 3 to 6 people when using our camper but the capacity of 8 would only be a just in case situation.

Victor

Vpolio90

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/22 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the pro tips Lyle!

Victor

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/22 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vpolio90 wrote:

Yes, I have read articles of how bad the build quality has been especially during the pandemic.

I've had multiple people steer me towards KZ so I will definitely check them out.

If you can find a pre-'16 KZ in good condition, you're much better off. Thor bought them out in '15 (along with Jayco), and, IMO, quality started to suffer after about '16. They're still better than average, though. My brother fell into a "deal" on an '18 Reflection, fully kitted out with =way= more than necessary. He could sell it today, a year later, for easily $2-3k more than he paid for it.

Lyle

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/22 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vpolio90 wrote:

Thank you for the pro tips Lyle!

Victor

I wouldn't call them "pro", just experience from nearly 5 years of shopping! :-)

Lyle

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/22 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Also, a 28' RV is going to be really small once you shove 8 people in there. Mine seems small with just the two of us.

I would look into toy haulers. Many come with 2 queen size beds in the garage area that can be raised to the ceiling when traveling. That buys you 4 sleeping spots. Assuming the parents are in the front bed, that means just 2 kids have to sleep in the living room area.

Of course, you are probably looking something more like 35ft.

It also gives you places to put bikes and other stuff for the kids.

Out of curiosity, what is the plan for 8 while in transport. Even the big 4 door pickups are really only good for up to 6 people.

This also has an advantage as toy haulers tend to have more cargo capacity and with 8 people, you likely will be cramming a lot into it.

Definitely, don't forget about people and gear in the truck when looking at payload. 6 adults are likely to be 800-1200lb of payload before hooking up the trailer or putting anything in the truck bed.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/22 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does everyone think about OP taking a look at mid bunk/multi purpose room 5ers? Offers 2 in mid room, 2 on loft and 2 in rear. Although, I'd tend to agree that a toy hauler (TH) would probly be his best best overall.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Vpolio90

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never thought about a TH. What TH 5er would yall recommend.

* This post was edited 02/03/22 08:01am by Vpolio90 *

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

What does everyone think about OP taking a look at mid bunk/multi purpose room 5ers? Offers 2 in mid room, 2 on loft and 2 in rear. Although, I'd tend to agree that a toy hauler (TH) would probly be his best best overall.

I really like the mid bunks, I was intrigued by them, the problem I see is the one I liked was 41', and would eliminate most of the state parks we like to visit.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/22 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vpolio90 wrote:

I have never thought about a TH. What TH 5er would yall recommend.

If you want the top of the crop, look at DRV Mobile Suites Full House and New Horizon. But it takes more than a SRW truck can haul...Youa re into MDT territory.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Need help narrowing down 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.