Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Need help narrowing down 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Need help narrowing down 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Vpolio90

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/22 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to stick with a srw. As of right now im leaning towards a grand design reflection or a KZ durango either used or new.

Since my trucks is going to be a short bed what 5 wheel hitch do yall recommend, also slider or non slider?

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/22 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I haven't looked at the recent Ram build sheets, but in the past the SRW short bed topped out GVWR of 11,700# where the Long Bed went to 12,300# so a loss of about 400# to 500# in payload.

You should have researched 5th wheels before you started looking at trucks. Many only look at tow capacity(Ability to pull), and not payload or axle and tire ratings (Ability to Carry).

* This post was edited 02/04/22 08:06am by an administrator/moderator *

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/22 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long or short bed 3500 srw have the same 7000 rawr regardless of GVWR or gvwr based payload sticker numbers.

Looking at Ram Body Builder guide base weight specs shows the same cab/drive train/6.7 Cummins/Aisin/etc std bed...rear axle is around 140 lbs lighter than the long bed version = 5th wheel hitch weight that sits on the trucks rear axle, load carrying advantage going to the std 6' 4" bed.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/22 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vpolio90 wrote:

Ken, the maximum payload capacity will be from about 3800lbs to 4000lbs. It will most likely be at 3900lbs from the videos I've seen with people with the same trim level. The 5wh GVWRs I've been looking at have been no more than 11500lbs therefore, having a max pin weight of 2300lbs (using the 20% rule). So I would have around 1600lbs not including passengers, extra cargo, 5wh hitch etc.

Yes, I agree we only plan to have 3 to 6 people when using our camper but the capacity of 8 would only be a just in case situation.

Victor

If that's the case, then I'd look at rigs that comfortably sleep 6 but have open floor space where a blow up mattress(es) could be laid out in a pinch.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/22 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vpolio90 wrote:

I want to stick with a srw. As of right now im leaning towards a grand design reflection or a KZ durango either used or new.

Since my trucks is going to be a short bed what 5 wheel hitch do yall recommend, also slider or non slider?

If you already have the RAM, realize that it has the shortest bed of the Big 3, so you =may= need a slider. My '02 D'max will NOT hit my cab turning R or L at full lock. Even my old, square-front Komfort, wouldn't hit. Having 4x4 probably does affect my turning radius. That being said, ALL will hit in reverse; a slider just gives you more time before you DO hit. Ask me how I know. :-/

Lyle

Vpolio90

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/22 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a good idea Lyle, that might me the best solution for the "just in case situation".

As for the slider I was leaning towards a slider from the get-go, I just wanted to hear yalls recommendations.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/22 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Long or short bed 3500 srw have the same 7000 rawr regardless of GVWR or gvwr based payload sticker numbers.

Looking at Ram Body Builder guide base weight specs shows the same cab/drive train/6.7 Cummins/Aisin/etc std bed...rear axle is around 140 lbs lighter than the long bed version = 5th wheel hitch weight that sits on the trucks rear axle, load carrying advantage going to the std 6' 4" bed.

Jimnlin, you state go by rear axle weight rating , that is fine if you choose to do that, but to recommend it to others, can place them in legal limbo! It is stated many times in both owners manual and towing documents that is is unsafe to exceed any one of the axle and or GVWR. While one may never get a ticket for exceeding their GVWR, if in a crash, if over GVWR then doesn’t matter if either driver was cited, that can be listed as a contributing cause of the crash.
To buy a NEW truck at todays prices that may be needing to depend axle ratings because it is over GVWR is insane.

The OP’s truck is on order, so he can likely refuse without issue.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/22 03:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wifey and I went to three RV shows in the beginning of 2017 and it’s hard to imagine that builtd quality got even worse. Everything was already 100% pressed wood interiors… I couldn’t find any solid wood anywhere. The parking lot at the cardinal stadium is an RV junkyard this weekend and I’m not even interested in looking at any of that ****. Craig

2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

hondapro

Central Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/22 04:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the hitch I recommend the B&W Companion slider.

Steve
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/22 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Jimnlin, you state go by rear axle weight rating , that is fine if you choose to do that, but to recommend it to others, can place them in legal limbo!

Baloney ...... There is no legal limbo with (DOT or other legal theories) for exceeding the truck mfg gvwr. Thats just plain rv website scare myth thats been pushed by a few rv owners opinions..... yourself included.

For those that swear by the trucks gvwr or its gvwr based payload sticker.... loading 3500 Rams rear axle to full 7000 lbs will not exceed a 3500 srw Rams 12400 gvwr.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Need help narrowing down 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.