Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth Wheel Hitch issue - How to correct?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheel Hitch issue - How to correct?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/22 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

humblerb wrote:

Update:
Well, since I am retired and have lots of time on my hands - I found a coarse round file in my tool box. Used a little (or a lot) of elbow grease and manually reamed slightly. Repeated a few times. I was a little surprised at the ability of the round file, but it worked rather well.
Pins now go in with less hassle. The last one takes a little manipulation for now.
I'd rather have a little tight than a little loose.
As I install and remove the hitch in the future, I may decide to ream a little more.

Curious did you ream the adapter or the tabs, I believe I would ream the adapter , less metal thickness to deal with ,and no compromising those tabs , the adapter frame holes has plenty of steel there that it wouldn't weaken it at all . I know the tabs are pretty thick, but they are also not that wide .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/22 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MN Ben wrote:

Instead of reaming out the hole, I would suggest...

Remove the head from the rails. Loosen up the bed rails. Don't remove the nuts from the bolts, just loosen them enough where they may adjust when you put the head and pins back in.
Once you loosened up the nuts and blots, place the head back onto the rails. Now put all 4 pins into their holes. All 4 pins should be able to slip into their position easier. If they don't, tap on the rail that needs adjustment until the pins go in correctly.
After you get the pins to go in and out to your liking, leave the head on with the pins in place and tighten down the rails. Be careful not to over tighten the bolts to stress them. There is probably a torque setting you should use. I suggest contacting the company for this torque setting. If not available, reference a torque guide for the size and grade of bolt you are using.
Test the pins so see if they work better. Repeat if necessary.
I used this method and installing and removing my hitch head from the rails was so much easier and less stressful.
Good Luck, and let us know if this worked for you.
Ben

No amount of loosening those bolts will fix that's 28-7/8" , that's fixed , needs to be 29" I believe you are thinking front to back . But that doesn't apply here anyway ,he's on the puck system .

I have installed a couple sets of bed rails ,they need to be pretty accurate for sure ,or you have problems . Those frame adapters are not subject to that , unless they were built out of square . They fit the four pucks on the truck .

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/22 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

I would call B&W and tell them your story. It sounds like your hitch was manufactured wrong from the outset. They may send you a new base.

100% agree to contact B&W. They will take care of you if there is a defect.

Let us know what they say.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/22 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of band-aiding this, since you have the pucks, why not sell the current Patriot and replace it with a Patriot OEM? Either used or new. Most B&W hitches in good condition sell for 50%, or more, of MSRP.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/22 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Instead of band-aiding this, since you have the pucks, why not sell the current Patriot and replace it with a Patriot OEM? Either used or new. Most B&W hitches in good condition sell for 50%, or more, of MSRP.

Lyle

Not sure if this is the same person but selling the existing and buying the puck slider was mentioned.

B&W's are easy to sell.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/22 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Lyle

If you remember he went thru this before , nothing wrong with the adapter , far from
A bandaid . His problem is a B&W hitch manufactured wrong it sounds. If he opens the holes in the adapter there will be no compromise to it . Nor will it create any movement . That or get a new base that’s built correctly.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/22 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

laknox wrote:

Lyle

Not sure if this is the same person but selling the existing and buying the puck slider was mentioned.

B&W's are easy to sell.

Like a lot of folks ,they don't know they can get the frame adapter ,and stay with their rail mount hitch . I did ,and the only drawback to it ,it's one more thing to deal with if wanting to remove. Mine hasn't been removed in a couple years now , no need . The ideal thing is it can be removed for the ones that want a clean bed .

The OP asked about selling hitch awhile back, and the frame adapter was suggested , it's unfortunate that he has a hitch that was not built correctly.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am reserving comment on being built correctly as the OP has not said if he talked to B&W yet about this.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/22 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am reserving comment on being built correctly as the OP has not said if he talked to B&W yet about this.

Seriously doubt B&W builds one hitch at a time, so highly unlikely a build flaw. It may be a damage issue, but if OP takes the initiative to call, they will offer help/solution/replacement.

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/22 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Seriously doubt B&W builds one hitch at a time, so highly unlikely a build flaw. It may be a damage issue, but if OP takes the initiative to call, they will offer help/solution/replacement.

Jerry

EXACTLY

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fifth Wheel Hitch issue - How to correct?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.