Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing performance - F150 vs F250
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing performance - F150 vs F250

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BusterandBelle wrote:

I am shopping for a new truck. I pull a fifth wheel, around 10,000 pounds including contents.

I have a 2009 F150, and I find it marginal on long hills. I would not feel comfortable hauling through the Rockies, which is on our bucket list.

The new F150's have a higher towing capacity than my old one. But are they strong enough, or do I need to be looking at the F250?

Any comments would be helpful?

"Marginal on long hills" to me sounds like a POWER issue.

Am I right?

If it's power you're after, an F250 doesn't have all that much more than an F150 unless you go with a diesel. Newer trucks across the board have more HP than older trucks, but if you're comparing across the aisle, same year for same, the power is the same engine for engine.

If you have a handling issue then the F250 will definitely help.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/22 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HECK.....

I am in the crowd of "don't worry, were fine" and would NOT pull a fifth wheel with ANY of the 1/2 tons... [emoticon]

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

BusterandBelle wrote:

I am shopping for a new truck. I pull a fifth wheel, around 10,000 pounds including contents.

I have a 2009 F150, and I find it marginal on long hills. I would not feel comfortable hauling through the Rockies, which is on our bucket list.

The new F150's have a higher towing capacity than my old one. But are they strong enough, or do I need to be looking at the F250?

Any comments would be helpful?

"Marginal on long hills" to me sounds like a POWER issue.

Am I right?

5.4 vs gas 7.3 would be huge. The Ford 2.7 Eco makes more power than the 09 5.4. BTDT with a 2010 5.4. Big dog when towing.

If it's power you're after, an F250 doesn't have all that much more than an F150 unless you go with a diesel. Newer trucks across the board have more HP than older trucks, but if you're comparing across the aisle, same year for same, the power is the same engine for engine.

If you have a handling issue then the F250 will definitely help.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/22 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BusterandBelle wrote:
"The new F150's have a higher towing capacity than my old one. But are they strong enough, or do I need to be looking at the F250?"

Yes, certain new 150s have more power, and likely are a bit stronger than your 09 150. Are they strong enough is the question. The answer is, not by the numbers, and yes the 250 is a much better choice.

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure it will tow it but can it "HANDLE" it?????

I would not want to find out!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

walker111

se calgary

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2010 Max tow f150 with the 5.4. LT rubber etc. 7700 gvwr
My fifth wheel at the time was a Cougar 27sab. It was 6900 dry ( weighed) and pin around 1200. I was always around 8000 pounds and that still put me right at payload, axle, but under tow rating by more than 3000 pounds. I did add a superspring right away and used this combo for 3 years but as the boys grew what we dragged along with us also did.
Even then, power was not the issue but being so close on the ratings ate at me and jumped to a F350 with 6.7.
The trailer you are looking at will be happier with 250.
Best of luck!!! You are wise to ask.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, not a 'can do' (as a VW ad shows it towing a 474, or half ton towing the Space Shuttle), but more to do with the ability to 'manhandle' the setup during a Mr Murphy encounter. That has to do will the sizing & the margins that comes along with sizing.

Right up to 100% of the OEM ratings will NOT have the margins of a bigger OEM rating, which might be in the 80% or less OEM ratings.

Add...for how long, as it has to do with how long you keep your vehicles. Using it at 100% of OEM ratings will wear it out faster than using it at 80% of OEM ratings.

OPs decision where they plan to be in reference to the OEM ratings, how they drive, and where they will drive. I and all the advisors have zero skin in the OP's setup...

Duty rating sums it all up. Look it up if don't know what that means or represents and best to add truck class to your search. You'll find "light duty", "medium duty", "heavy duty", etc.

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the time you add the heavy tow and payload to a 150, it is as much as a F250. The 250 with the bigger brakes, axles, stiffer frame, and pretty much heavier duty everything will be a much better option. The new 7.3l gas engine is a really good choice for that weight.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

IMO, not a 'can do' (as a VW ad shows it towing a 474, or half ton towing the Space Shuttle), but more to do with the ability to 'manhandle' the setup during a Mr Murphy encounter. That has to do will the sizing & the margins that comes along with sizing.

Right up to 100% of the OEM ratings will NOT have the margins of a bigger OEM rating, which might be in the 80% or less OEM ratings.

Add...for how long, as it has to do with how long you keep your vehicles. Using it at 100% of OEM ratings will wear it out faster than using it at 80% of OEM ratings.

OPs decision where they plan to be in reference to the OEM ratings, how they drive, and where they will drive. I and all the advisors have zero skin in the OP's setup...

Duty rating sums it all up. Look it up if don't know what that means or represents and best to add truck class to your search. You'll find "light duty", "medium duty", "heavy duty", etc.

Has anyone besides me and mkirsch picked up on the fact that the OP never even alluded to taking issue with how his, now, 13 year old F150 "handles" his trailer?

Instead, right into the barrage of typical, you "need" a HD pickup and all the other nonsense...
Ben, you have the most valid point, that use at a greater % of rated capacity will inevitably cause increased wear n tear vs a lesser use.

I mean, I believe that. Driving our HD pickups around mostly as grocery getters for the last 20 years means components last even longer than their average expected duration. Great, do a cost benefit ratio calc or something, but don't act like the truck can't handle it's rated towing capacity.
And I've also used MANY half tons to do the work, day in day out, that the rvnet weight cops say will now not only endanger everyone around them, but also, destroy the truck? I can turn in a truck with 60-100k on it, it may or will have used up a set of brakes or shocks quicker. Sure it has more wear on the chassis and drivetrain than a HD doing the same would. (Like I said before, I'd "prefer" a HD even in the OP's scenario) But that same truck gets used and abused for years after I'm done with it and life goes on. A 1/2 ton truck is not a Fabergé egg!

Now, to you guys who talk out of both sides of your mouth, "grossing 36k, towing doubles, behind a dually" types. You're safer pulling a semi trailer with your "little" 1 ton, than the guy who is running on the upper end of the ratings on his half ton? For fcks sake...quit running your mouth about how you're right and anyone with a half ton is wrong!

Back to the age of the OP's truck. Unless it has been a grocery getter up until recently, the OP probably knows or has at least experienced nothing out of the ordinary with his truck.
Y'all don't even know how much he will use it to pull the 5ver! A "bucket list" trip to the Rockies from the east coast does not make him a hotshot hauler in terms of % of time at % of ratings. Not even close.

I swear, coming on here for advice about towing a RV is like talking to your mailman about your medical issues. Neither will give you accurate advice!

* This post was edited 03/07/22 11:47am by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Crespro

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most everyone wants reserves. The F-250 with 7.3 gas and 4.30 is rated for 15K conventional and 19K fifth wheel (26K GVCR). It tows a 15K fifth wheel fine, but you would have generous reserves at 10K.

Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Towing performance - F150 vs F250
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.