Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Impact of fuel prices on travel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Impact of fuel prices on travel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/22 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't normally tow farther than a 500 mile radius from home. While I notice, when a fill up is $125 or more, it does not affect my decision to go when I want. I normally fill with pure premium when available. Truck tows stronger, mileage maybe 1 mpg more, but added cost is minimal overall. If the CGs were less crowded, where I like to go, due to extreme fuel costs, I would be happy.

Off topic, but my heating cost this Winter doubled. I am not going to set the stat lower, wear a jacket in the house. I just grumble a little, suck it up. I will manage, no need for well wishers to send a check. [emoticon]

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/22 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 500 gallon propane tank. Don't want to know what it's going to cost on next fill.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/22 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My heat bill has went up to, I plan to have more insulation but in the attic in the fall of this year. We do burn a lot of wood in the fireplace but finding wood is getting to be a challenge everyone wants crazy prices.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/22 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you all think that diesel & gas is expensive take a look at what you happily pay for WATER!

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

alexleblanc

Moncton NB

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/22 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 2 summers of lost camping with out two girls and my aging parents, we are going to keep our plans and go to up state NY, Vermont and Maine. If it costs me an extra 300-400$ in fuel, so be it.

We lived this back in 2008-2010 with higher fuel prices and I said it then and I’ll say it now, if a few hundred dollars of fuel per trip is going to stop your ability to go RVing, then maybe you should reconsider if it makes sense at all to own or use and RV/trailer - it is after all a luxury.

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/22 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My truck gets 3 MPG when pulling the trailer so it will add up fast."

3MPG!!!! OMG that is starting to get close to boat consumption territory. At 18kts my single engined diesel boat would consume 12 GPH. A gallon drunk down every 5 minutes. Think about that.

If you think the highways will be quieter this year, watch the waterways.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/22 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least 5 years ago I started putting money into an extra bank account I have.
I've turned that money into my "camping and recreation fund" savings account.
The money from that account goes towards fuel for my vacations and camping trips.

Because that money sits there and isn't used for anything else, it's not a huge hit to my main bank account to go camping.

The drawback this year with higher diesel prices is that my "special bank account" will deplete faster than usual.

Bob

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/22 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paid $162 to fill my tank in Western WA the other day... That hurts.

It's not the price of gas that will keep us from camping, its the inability to get a reservation at a site... We only have 1 booked this year. We will plan to Boondock the rest of the trips. Will stay closer to home just because we know where we can go and where we will have time away from crowds.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/22 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Paid $162 to fill my tank in Western WA the other day... That hurts.

Ha! I got you beat, I filled up for $162.50 @ $4.89 a gallon the other day. Had to swipe the card twice because many stations have the $100 limit for whatever reason. I did see a couple of stations drop their price $.07 over the weekend though.

Anyway we haven't cancelled any trips this year and we have all our reservations made. With that being said our longest trip is only 600 miles round trip and the rest are between 50-250 miles round trip. Considering the actual cost of vacation time, campsites, daytrips etc. the extra $1.50 a gallon this year is a small cost in regards to the entire trip.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/22 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I could complain about the price of fuel, I may as well yell at the wind. I don't plan on cancelling any of my plans. In the grand scheme of things, I look at fuel as one of the least expensive parts of Rv'ing. I still pay more for a 6 pack of beer than a gallon of diesel. Heck in most restaurants I pay more for a single beer. On the up side - hoping there is a chance that these rising fuel prices will cause some others to cancel their reservations so we can actually get a site somewhere other than what we already have planned. The COVID rush of campers were cramping my camping. Folks being forced back into offices, being in a recession, looming RV market fall, understanding RV's take work and money to own, and a host of other factors should contribute to a lot of newbies hanging it up.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Impact of fuel prices on travel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.