Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: rv fridge
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> rv fridge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
machunt

cincinnati ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/22 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If one was to replace the fridge in there current rv with a residential fridge, what would have to be done to be able to cool it down before leaving on a trip? Generator, inverter?

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plug the trailer in at home, plug the fridge in at the back where the other came out. Now if you're boondocking then you will either have to run the genny or inverter with a couple good sized batteries.

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would add one thing to what the Fisherman said. Check the plugs by your current fridge to see if there is an inverted socket. Should be one but not all RV are created equal. An RR actually cools down just like the house fridge, as that is what it is. Much, much faster and constant than a standard RV fridge.

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/22 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A fridge needs a power source. An RV fridge can run on electric or LP. The residential fridge only runs on electricity.

Unless you have a really long extension cord, you need a power source on the road and when you’re camped. Even if you have hookups at night, you still need power in the road:

- Lots of DC power in your batteries
- An inverter to run the fridge on AC
- Solar panels to recharge the batteries while you drive

It’s all possible, but not cheap.

We have 700w of solar, a nice big inverter, and four 6v batteries. This works well for us when we boondock, but I wouldn’t want to run a residential fridge all day when we need the juice at night.

We’ve been dry camping most of this week and I’ve only run the generator about 45 minutes so far to power my wife’s tea kettle, her hair dryer, and my coffee pot sometimes. This would be totally different if we were powering a fridge too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

A fridge needs a power source. An RV fridge can run on electric or LP. The residential fridge only runs on electricity.

Unless you have a really long extension cord, you need a power source on the road and when you’re camped. Even if you have hookups at night, you still need power in the road:

We have 700w of solar, a nice big inverter, and four 6v batteries. This works well for us when we boondock, but I wouldn’t want to run a residential fridge all day when we need the juice at night.

We’ve been dry camping most of this week and I’ve only run the generator about 45 minutes so far to power my wife’s tea kettle, her hair dryer, and my coffee pot sometimes. This would be totally different if we were powering a fridge too.

To the OP, this post is full of errors and misleading advice. If I were you, I would ignore it and continue on your quest for correct technical information.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

machunt

cincinnati ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/22 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i agree ,,,maybe i wasnt clear. plugging in at home is not a option. never mind why. I know i could buy a genny and plug it in at the storage lot. but my concern is while traveling what can i do to keep fridge cold?

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

machunt wrote:

i agree ,,,maybe i wasnt clear. plugging in at home is not a option. never mind why. I know i could buy a genny and plug it in at the storage lot. but my concern is while traveling what can i do to keep fridge cold?

First off, we don't know what kind of RV you have so it is difficult to make suggestions that are appropriate, however, in most cases, the easiest way is to use an inverter. Your alternator will keep your batteries charged, and the batteries can connect to the inverter which can power your residential fridge.

There may be circumstances where you don't need to power the fridge during travel, depending on where you are going and how long it will take you. The residential fridge doesn't warm up instantly, and in some cases, you can unplug at home, and plug in at the destination and everything will be ok.

At this point, it difficult to make any specific recommendations without knowing more about your rig. The above description is about as simple as it can be made to get.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/22 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

machunt wrote:

If one was to replace the fridge in there current rv with a residential fridge, what would have to be done to be able to cool it down before leaving on a trip? Generator, inverter?

yes. or plug the RV into electric.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/22 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

To the OP, this post is full of errors and misleading advice. If I were you, I would ignore it and continue on your quest for correct technical information.

Got specifics?

Or got a mini-nuke plant in your RV for power? Or a long extension cord for the fridge?

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Didn't see a suggestion on a 12V compressor fridge which is a nice compromise between 120V and absorption 12v/propane fridge.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> rv fridge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.