Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2500 Chevy Duramax vs 2500 Ram Cummins on the Ike Gauntlet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2500 Chevy Duramax vs 2500 Ram Cummins on the Ike Gauntlet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Thanks for the info.

IIRC the Chev axle ratings are about the same as you posted.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

TravelinDog wrote:

Almost all of the comments here come down to the same old Chevy vs Ram debate.
There are millions of these trucks out there towing trailers with no problems and nearly identical results so it still comes down to a matter of brand preference.

That being said I see no reason to put a 10 speed trans behind the Cummins engine because it works just fine the way it is.

More gears is in the Rams future. Like it or not.

I STRONGLY suspect that the Ram proponents will then sing its praises . Until then.....Dissing those that have it now, just sounds like a child refusing to admit that a classmate has a better toy.

It's only the stubborn "Ram proponents" who's mantra of "whatever I currently have is the best", while wearing blinders, who can't see the benefits of more forward gears behind the Cummins.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I don't think anyone is "DISSING" having more gears behind the higher revving V8's. I for one who should know if the RAM needs more gears towing 35k West Coast does NOT feel the need for more gears.

When RAM had the 4 speed auto and 5 speed stick they sure did need more gears but they both really needed to have more evenly spaced gears. The 6 speed stick and auto evened out the spacing nicely and work well behind the inline CUMMINS..

The 6 speed "stick", aka the G56 absolutely needed at least one more gear. Especially in anything with deeper gears than the 3.42s, for top end rpms vs speed. And the 3.42s could have used another cog down lower to shrink up the gear splits.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

Understood. (Couldn't find the ram axle ratings on their web page.)

"Axle ratings" get tailored to the other vehicle components and regulatory limits as well (especially 3/4 tons).
There isn't a full floater axle under any of the big 3 trucks for the last 40 years that isn't rated for at least 9klbs. And most, including anything that is in a Ram or GM HD diesel truck for the last 20 years are rated about 10klbs, with some variants even higher.

I understand that folks who aren't mechanically inclined, don't have a lot of practical experience or aren't "into" vehicles may have trouble discerning between what ratings actually mean and how they're derived...I get it. But the concept of the aritfical de-rating of 3/4 tons is almost comically lost on so many.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

Understood. (Couldn't find the ram axle ratings on their web page.)

"Axle ratings" get tailored to the other vehicle components and regulatory limits as well (especially 3/4 tons).
There isn't a full floater axle under any of the big 3 trucks for the last 40 years that isn't rated for at least 9klbs. And most, including anything that is in a Ram or GM HD diesel truck for the last 20 years are rated about 10klbs, with some variants even higher.

I understand that folks who aren't mechanically inclined, don't have a lot of practical experience or aren't "into" vehicles may have trouble discerning between what ratings actually mean and how they're derived...I get it. But the concept of the aritfical de-rating of 3/4 tons is almost comically lost on so many.

Got it, now, finally!!!

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/22 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

My take is with this small camper the 6 speed/Cummins combo was a good fit. Go to 30k lbs and I believe you'll see a different outcome or different varying size slopes/hills.

The inline 6 does JUST FINE with the 6 speed. Higher revving V8 diesels may do better with more gears.

High revving V8 diesels??

The Durmax makes it peak Horsepower of 445 at 2800 rpm The same rpm that the Cummins makes 420 peak Horsepower. And the ford makes its peak horsepower of 475 at 2600 rpm.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had thought that Ram and GM use the same rear axle.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

I had thought that Ram and GM use the same rear axle.

I thought so too, 11.5" AAM.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

TravelinDog wrote:

Almost all of the comments here come down to the same old Chevy vs Ram debate.
There are millions of these trucks out there towing trailers with no problems and nearly identical results so it still comes down to a matter of brand preference.

That being said I see no reason to put a 10 speed trans behind the Cummins engine because it works just fine the way it is.

More gears is in the Rams future. Like it or not.

I STRONGLY suspect that the Ram proponents will then sing its praises . Until then.....Dissing those that have it now, just sounds like a child refusing to admit that a classmate has a better toy.

It's only the stubborn "Ram proponents" who's mantra of "whatever I currently have is the best", while wearing blinders, who can't see the benefits of more forward gears behind the Cummins.

I’d bet anyone $1000 that when (not if) RAM adds gears that the new tranny will be proclaimed by some as the best ever available in a HD.

Heck, I remember individuals signing the praises of the 68RFE (which for the record I don’t think is terrible, but it is far from the best).

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

My take is with this small camper the 6 speed/Cummins combo was a good fit. Go to 30k lbs and I believe you'll see a different outcome or different varying size slopes/hills.

The inline 6 does JUST FINE with the 6 speed. Higher revving V8 diesels may do better with more gears.

High revving V8 diesels??

The Durmax makes it peak Horsepower of 445 at 2800 rpm The same rpm that the Cummins makes 420 peak Horsepower. And the ford makes its peak horsepower of 475 at 2600 rpm.

What is their red lines???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2500 Chevy Duramax vs 2500 Ram Cummins on the Ike Gauntlet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.