Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Battery tender & storage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery tender & storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Interesting thread about half the posters said charge it and remove the neg cable and let it sit and half said keep batteries on a charger. Both methods work, not sure what the OP learned from this or concluded.

I think the main point is you can remove it and put it on a minder, or disconect it and charge it again in the spring if it doesnt drop off to much, or change out the converter in the unit to a quality 4 stage and so on and just leave it plugged in and not qworry about it. several ways to do it and none are realy wrong, well maybe leaving it plugged in on a factory wfco haha... different ways to skin the cat.. some take work, others you pay money so you don't have to work.....

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

austinjenna wrote:

But a lot of maintainers do de-sulpahte the battery. This is from the Batteryminder plus website.

The BatteryMINDer Plus is a 3-mode charger-maintainer-desulfator that extends performance and life of all types and sizes of 12 Volt lead acid batteries, including all starter, deep cycle, maintenance-free, sealed AGM, gelled or dry-type batteries, regardless of size or make. The Model 12117 automatically dissolves harmful power-robbing sulfation using safe, low voltage, patented high-frequency pulse technology
I'm not familiar with Battery Minder plus but does it go into a desulfating mode automatically over a 4-month period of absence or do you have to be there to program it manually to desulfate?

Mine does it automatically, no programming required.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned, the BatteryMinder Plus is automatic -- set it and forget it. During the charging phase, a little light turns green. When the battery is fully charged, the little light starts to blink, which means that the device has begun its desulphation pulse phase. Here is their website:

BatteryMinder Plus website

I must add that some very knowledgeable folks (like MexicoWanderer, who used to maintain the batteries on submarines) have doubts about the BatteryMinder's claim that it prevents sulphation of the battery by virtue of its pulsing action. So although I personally have had great success with this device, be aware that not everyone is a fan.

Having said that, my professional opinion (as a former lawyer and law professor) is that if the BatteryMinder folks were falsely claiming that their product prevents sulphation, they would have been sued for fraud in a class action and would have been driven out of business. They have not been sued (I have checked!), and they are still in business after many years.

For both good and ill, class action lawyers stand at the ready, eagerly awaiting the chance to bring suit against manufacturers of phony products. The lack of a class action in this case is what lawyers sometimes call an "eloquent silence."

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I'm not familiar with Battery Minder plus but does it go into a desulfating mode automatically over a 4-month period of absence or do you have to be there to program it manually to desulfate?

"Desulfation" is an attempt to repair a battery which has been abused (i.e., chronically undercharged, or left discharged for an extended period).

Properly maintained, a battery should never need it.

It is a marketing gimmick - designed to make one product stand out from hundreds of other, essentially identical products.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/22 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

As mentioned, the BatteryMinder Plus is automatic -- set it and forget it. During the charging phase, a little light turns green. When the battery is fully charged, the little light starts to blink, which means that the device has begun its desulphation pulse phase. Here is their website:

BatteryMinder Plus website

I must add that some very knowledgeable folks (like MexicoWanderer, who used to maintain the batteries on submarines) have doubts about the BatteryMinder's claim that it prevents sulphation of the battery by virtue of its pulsing action. So although I personally have had great success with this device, be aware that not everyone is a fan.

Having said that, my professional opinion (as a former lawyer and law professor) is that if the BatteryMinder folks were falsely claiming that their product prevents sulphation, they would have been sued for fraud in a class action and would have been driven out of business. They have not been sued (I have checked!), and they are still in business after many years.

For both good and ill, class action lawyers stand at the ready, eagerly awaiting the chance to bring suit against manufacturers of phony products. The lack of a class action in this case is what lawyers sometimes call an "eloquent silence."
I think it would be very difficult to prove how much if any sulfate is shed off the plates during a desufating cycle so unless someone cuts up a battery to examine the plates after 4 or 5 years, I can see why there would be no lawsuits. Just being a good maintainer should make the batteries last longer than 4-5 years so most people would be happy with the product.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/22 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac, that is very insightful -- unless the fraud is easily discovered (for example, where a disgruntled whistleblower produces "smoking gun" emails), some types of deceptive conduct will never see the light of day.

Having said all of that, I still have no reason to think that the Batteryminder is a fraud. I've been using one for many years, with great results.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/22 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dan, it is certainly not a fraud, many on here use it as a maintainer, it's just hard to quantify how much desulfating it actually does. I have a B&D 40 amp battery charger that has a desulfating function, I use it but have no idea how good it works, I think the equalizing function is more effective.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/22 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well some people still believe in 3K oil changes, technology changes, their mindset doesn't.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/22 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As promised, here is the result of my 4 year old, Lifeline 4D AGM battery after sitting disconnected with absolutely no attention since last October.

Hooked it up & took a reading. 12.5V. Plenty of power to operate landing legs & be off to the first CG.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/22 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

... my 4 year old, Lifeline 4D AGM battery after sitting disconnected with absolutely no attention since last October..... 12.5V.
Excellent. AGMs are real good at holding a charge.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery tender & storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.