Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Slide Electrical Issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Slide Electrical Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
JoshInReno

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/22 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone, it's been awhile.

I have a new to me trailer and have run into a problem:

The bedroom slide will not move on 12v power. It just clicks. The kitchen slide works fine on 12v so I don't suspect the battery but it's possible.

The bedroom slide works fine on 120v so I assume the motor and gearbox are fine. It should be noted I have yet to even find the motor and gearbox. The slide has arms, not cables so I suspect the drivetrain is under the slide but it's an enclosed underbelly that I don't want to start cutting into just yet.

Any ideas?

agwill

enosburg falls, vt

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/22 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Low battery voltage. If it works when plugged in the converter is putting out 12 volts to operate your motor. Check wire to battery and clean if bad.

al

A1B00902

Vancouver B.C CANADA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/22 12:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try looking under the bed, some will have a false bottom covering the motor

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/22 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All systems on the trailer are 12 volt. Since it operates when plugged in, it will be a battery issue. Have your battery tested, if over 3 years old, replace it.

2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/22 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the circuit breakers on the trailer tongue. If they are weathered and have any corrosion on them replace all of them. Not hard to do.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/22 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eHoefler wrote:

All systems on the trailer are 12 volt. Since it operates when plugged in, it will be a battery issue. Have your battery tested, if over 3 years old, replace it.

I agree. Try using a different battery (even your truck battery).

JoshInReno

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/22 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

eHoefler wrote:

I agree. Try using a different battery (even your truck battery).

I'll probably replace the trailer batteries this weekend, but I thought it was odd the front slide would work on battery (I'm guessing voltage drop to the rear slide due to length) while the rear slide wouldn't.

Also, the rear slide won't operate with the truck plugged in and running. I'm guessing it's just that sensitive?

Microlite Mike

NW Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/22 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoshInReno wrote:

Hi everyone, it's been awhile.

I have a new to me trailer and have run into a problem:

The bedroom slide will not move on 12v power. It just clicks. The kitchen slide works fine on 12v so I don't suspect the battery but it's possible.

The bedroom slide works fine on 120v so I assume the motor and gearbox are fine. It should be noted I have yet to even find the motor and gearbox. The slide has arms, not cables so I suspect the drivetrain is under the slide but it's an enclosed underbelly that I don't want to start cutting into just yet.

Any ideas?

Lots of variations in slide operating mechanisms but most with "arms" use either a motor turning a shaft with pinion gears that push the slide out or a linear actuator with motor and gearbox mounted underneath. Usually a "Through Frame" design.

I had a similar problem with my slide where it operated sometimes, sometimes stopped after a few moments of movement, and sometimes resumed operation after some time passed. I finally got frustrated with having to crank in/out manually.

I removed motor (which on my TT was mounted inside the frame on the opposite side as the slide and enclosed by belly cover). I removed motor from gearbox and dissassembled it. Found one brush was sticking in the brush holder. Wasn't making solid contact with the commutator and after a short period of operation the normal vibration in the motor would push the brush back just enough that it wouldn't carry any current into the motor. I had to spread the slotted opening in the brush holder enough to allow the brush to FREELY move in it and after reassembling the motor has worked flawlessly since.

Don't know what your system uses but when motors stop working on purely battery power, but work OK when the voltage is increased by connecting to shore power, it's almost a certainty it's voltage or poor connection related.

Before spending any money or extra effort on the issue I'd recommend connecting a voltmeter to the motor input and see if full voltage is reaching the motor when slide switch is engaged.

FWIW, most manufacturers recommend that slides be operated with shore power connected (or generator connected and running). Depending on the brand a slide can draw from <10 amp to close to 30 amp.

"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

CJW8

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/22 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

None of your slides are 120V. They are 12V over hydraulic or 12 Volt/mechanical. Some slides require more current to operate than others. Some manufacturers say to either be plugged in or have your generator running before operating sides and jacks.

* This post was edited 05/10/22 09:45pm by CJW8 *

2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

JoshInReno

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/22 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So this is an ongoing problem. Sometimes the slide works, sometimes it doesn't. I have verified full voltage at the motor.

When it get stuck in the "in" position, I can turn the nut on the shaft a few times with a wrench to get it to move under electrical power again.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Slide Electrical Issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.