Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: To slide or not to slide. That is the question.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To slide or not to slide. That is the question.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/22 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

When we fuel stop, DW goes inside an uses the facilities and gets the snacks and beverages, I use the lav in the camper while the truck is fueling. When the tank is full, we are ready to roll. No room to extend the slides at a fuel island.

ok forget about slides or no slides, what the true question now is, How did you get the wifes toilet breaks syncronized with the gas stops? [emoticon]

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/22 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting observation. You have effectively purchased about the largest triple slide camper on the market and now questioning whether you want to go with a much smaller unit with no slides?
Or is this just one of those “hypothetical “ questions to tone down anticipated buyers remorse in advance?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/22 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes the difference between 10 seconds to get in the camper and 1 minute is the difference between clean drawers and not clean drawers. Not to mention, without worrying about a slide, I don't have to worry about taking up more than one parking spot to get in. Another reason for no slide is you lose the cabinet space above the dinnette. With us full timing in an 8' TC, every inch of storage is critical. Last reason I don't want a slide is less things to go wrong, less places for a leak to occur. Just don't think the extra space is worth all of the negatives in my book.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/22 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a solution to the bickering. Instead of being concerned what others decide, discuss how you use your TC and why your preferred configuration works for you.

Maybe I should just give an example. I am a photographer and enjoy exploring scenic areas. I tend to travel a lot. I also live on the East coast and like to visit in the Western States so that adds to the travel. When it comes to the compromises on size, weight, convenience, I have decided to keep the weight down as much as possible. I also like being able to hit a rest stop and use my RV toilet, kitchen and often take a nap. I don't want to take the time to deal with a slide or need to find an oversized parking area. I also do some stealth camping and want to be as inconspicuous as possible.

If you use your TC to be able to tow a boat and stay at a nearby lake for a week or two, I can understand why you might want to maximize comfort and a larger TC with multiple slides might fit your needs.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/22 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So pretty much we've heard from folks who are either dead-set against slides and would never own one, or are dead-set against non-slide campers and would never own one.

How about someone who is a little more impartial, someone who started out with a non-slide camper and went to a slide and either had a nightmare experience or had their eyes opened to a whole new world of wonderment? Or someone who went the other way, had a slide, had problems, went back to a conventional camper and wouldn't wish a slide on their worst enemy?

Then there are the "but sometimes..." arguments. I mean if you're holding it so long that you're going to explode in 50 seconds on a regular basis, you really should reevaluate your travel habits, and maybe see a doctor.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/22 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a non-slide and went to a single slide for more room since I have growing kids with me. When they are out of the picture I will go back to a non-slide.

Just wanted to mention that there ARE slide units that are perfectly usable with the slide in.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/22 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at both, we will be replacing the good old slumberqueen in a year or two and I was plesently surprised how fast the slides in the campers we are looking at actualy move. I am used to the slow lumbering movment of my 5th wheel, where the slide on a few different campers I looked at were like 20 seconds or less to full out and maybe 7 seconds to being enough to get by and into the washroom. so to me it isnt an issue, I would rather have to spend 20 seconds putting out a slide and gain the extra room when you are camping.

Steve

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/22 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TC slides usually aren't very deep, so they open pretty quickly.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/22 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out five RV's, the last three have had slides. I do not boondock on city streets, so I have no worry about deploying a slide. Slide mechanism can be fast (Power Gear) or slow (Schwintek), but none are so slow that that they limit accessibility in less than 30 seconds. We like a compact package when traveling and expand it out when when reach a destination. We travel year round in all kinds of weather, so inside space with comfortable seating was important. We are not full timers and still work full time, so we cannot chase the most desirable weather and take time off when ever work allows. We are more destination campers Than traveling around with the camper - I typically have a trailer in tow with smaller more nimble vehicles that explore the rough off road or towns and cities. We also use the camper as portable hotel when going to venues whether art, music , fairs, rodeos...

If our style of camping was different, we would have an RV that matched it. As it is, our choice works for currently do but is not the solution for everyone. You have think about the RV will be a tool to help you do things that interest you and then select the best tool to accomplish this.

People worry about leaks or mechanical failures. There are better and worse mechanisms when selecting a camper with a slide or multiple slides. I am confident in a couple designs and not with some others. I avoided those where I saw design issues or repeated failure feedback. I can say after three RV's with slides, none leaked the Northwest weather in and none failed with multiple deployments and retractions at each stop.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE

restlessways

Limbo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/22 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Lance 1030 with no slides. When I sat in the Arctic Fox 990 with the slide out, it felt twice as big. I loved it. That being said, I do like the convenience of no slide for quick restroom breaks while on the road, making lunch, etc.

I have a 5th wheel with 3 slides. I have never had an issue with any of them in almost 10 years of use. I don't worry about that. But having to open and close a slide is certainly something that does take a small amount of time and thought, no matter how "quick" it opens.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To slide or not to slide. That is the question.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.