Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Puzzling Plumbing Problem
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Puzzling Plumbing Problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/22 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seriously doubt the diaphragms are simply vibrating it to 100psi.
- Hot water tank overheating and building pressure could be an issue. I don't recall the pressure when the hot water pressure relief valve will release but might be around 100psi.
- Unlikely but the water pump has a spring loaded pressure switch. If the spring is weak, it could be turning on intermittently while bouncing down the road...but as mentioned, the odds of getting two unit with this problem is highly unlikely.
- A bad pressure gauge may be the problem.

Personally, we usually turn off the pump and water heater while traveling. If we stop for lunch, it takes just a second to turn on the pump and the hot water heater will stay hot for several hours, so no real burden. This avoids the potential for a leak to spray the entire contents of the fresh water tank before we find out and/or burning out the water pump.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

One thing that MAY cause a problem even if the water heater is OFF. Does the OP have a Motoraid water heater (It would be an Atwood). Motoraid Water heaters when OFF will still have 180 plus engine coolant flowing thru the heat exchanger pipe on the back of the water heater. That may cause a rise in pressure(it will heat the water up to the 180), even with the air gap. To the OP, NOT DRIVING, you don't have the problem? Doug

If there's any reason why the OP's issue might actually be possible, this could be it.
But yes, otherwise, you dont have 100psi pumps so you aint getting 100 psi out of them. It's not the pump(s).

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/22 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have still not heard from the OP about the use of the water heater. If you heat cold water, the pressure will increase greatly. In fact, when I do this, I turn off the pump and open a faucet, so the pressure does not build as the water heats.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/22 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

We have still not heard from the OP about the use of the water heater. If you heat cold water, the pressure will increase greatly. In fact, when I do this, I turn off the pump and open a faucet, so the pressure does not build as the water heats.

The water heater maintains an air pocket that compresses as the water expands. There's no reason to turn off the pump or open a faucet. RV's that are equipped with an accumulator tank have even more capacity for expansion.

Oh, and water heated from 70 deg.F to 212 deg.F only expands 4% or about 2/3 of an ounce per gallon before it vaporizes.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

The water heater maintains an air pocket that compresses as the water expands. There's no reason to turn off the pump or open a faucet. RV's that are equipped with an accumulator tank have even more capacity for expansion.

Oh, and water heated from 70 deg.F to 212 deg.F only expands 4% or about 2/3 of an ounce per gallon before it vaporizes.

It is very common for people to LOSE that air pocket. You must restore the air pocket. Also, the usual product of no air pocket is increased pressure and the Pop Off valve starts leaking. Doug

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/22 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

When it's at 100 pounds and you open a faucet, is there a huge burst of water under extreme pressure? Most plumbing systems are not even designed to handle that much pressure so you would also likely have leaking connections somewhere if the pressure is truly that high.

The P&T valve on your water heater does not release until 150 PSI. Modern piping is designed to exceed that pressure. Otherwise the pipes would burst and spray hot water everywhere

RVing since 1995.

wguss

So. California

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually turn on the water heater when we're a few minutes from stopping for the night. It does have the feature of using the engine's hot water to also pre-heat the water in the water heater.
It could certainly be a bad pressure gauge but when I attach the hose for city water or turn on the pump it shows 45 pounds each time. I can turn a valve to add water to the tank and it snaps back to 45 pounds when static pressure returns. I often cycle the water from the pump through the tank to get all the air out of the lines and once again the pressure gauge always reads 45 pounds.

wguss

So. California

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A reply to Doug's question about the problem when not driving. No, there is no over-pressure when parked. There are places we stay that have electric only, no city water and when disconnecting the next morning the water pressure from the pump only is always 45 psi.

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i also suspect the pressure gauge you have is not reading properly after bouncing down the road
Water Pressure Gauge Oil Filled Vibration Proof

wguss

So. California

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could be a cheap gauge? Here's the install...

[image]

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Puzzling Plumbing Problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.