Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Point to ponder, hornets nest stir
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Point to ponder, hornets nest stir

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While they did imply, you can pull anything, the answers were vague enough that they weren't wrong.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What they said was partially correct, my SRW has a PAYLOAD of 4562#.. What the newer Generation SRW owners have to watch is the axle and tire ratings more so than any other numbers…

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Stopped by our old RV dealer today to speak w/ a person there and off course off today. So struck up a conversation w/ a sales lady about their take on today's SRW trucks and what the mfr's of them are saying about towing and what the RV dealer recommends. Well it seems the RV dealer is saying that you really don't need a DRW for 5ers unless your doing a lot of cross country driving. Being a lil surprised, I asked even tho the GVW of the 5er is pushing 15,5 and up, pin weights of 3500 and up? Reply back was, "depends on weight capacity of the truck".

Sigh.

Okay, I'm a little confused. Nothing she said was technically wrong. Vague but not technically wrong unless I'm missing something.

What were you expecting to hear?

Frankly I'm not surprised she didn't tell you that a new half ton could pull anything on the lot.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

What they said was partially correct, my SRW has a PAYLOAD of 4562#.. What the newer Generation SRW owners have to watch is the axle and tire ratings more so than any other numbers…

The sticker readers gots to love that payload! [emoticon] Newer Fords, like yours, have big axle ratings for SRW. After reading bucky's earlier posts on this thread, A new or late model Ford would be a good choice for him, and the 7.3 gas a possibility.

Jerry

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like rubber on the ground.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before I bought my current toy hauler I was towing my previous 5th wheel (14,500 GVWR) with my DRW Duramax. One of my concerns was the added safety of having a DRW. Case in point my wife was driving on a trip and an inner rear tire went flat. We heard a rumbling sound but had no idea we lost a truck tire; I thought it was a trailer tire. She got us off the road and it was a non-issue. Had we had a SWR it may have turned out differently losing the only tire on that side.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROFLMAO, asking a RV sales lady about truck capacities??
Slow day for you I presume?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Before I bought my current toy hauler I was towing my previous 5th wheel (14,500 GVWR) with my DRW Duramax. One of my concerns was the added safety of having a DRW. Case in point my wife was driving on a trip and an inner rear tire went flat. We heard a rumbling sound but had no idea we lost a truck tire; I thought it was a trailer tire. She got us off the road and it was a non-issue. Had we had a SWR it may have turned out differently losing the only tire on that side.
What if it was a front tire?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

I'm reading that that sales person said the right thing,it all depends on the truck.
I'm a pre def diesel guy with a 05 Ram dually due to my 5er weights. When Ram beefed up the frame in 2010 a 3500 single wheel would handle my needs. If I find the right one I'll move up. A DPF doesn't bother me but no way I'm doing DEF. Cummins started DEF in 13 IIRC. Also you get a real crew cab starting in 2010, although the quad cab is sufficient room wise.
My 05 dually has a rear axle rating of 9350 lbs when a 3500 single wheel in the same configuration is 6010 IIRC. Starting in 2010 the SRW goes up to about 6500 lbs and that gets me to a single wheel. I sure would like to lose those hips, the fuel penalty of 6 wheels, and the price of tires at 50% more per set.

You're a fair bit off in your knowledge and assessments of the newer model Rams you're talking about.
First, the early 4th Gens, 2010 - 2013/14 are the SAME chassis as 3rd gens. Nothing to gain chassis wise in that upgrade. 2013, the 3500s significantly updated chassis design (although that has no real world advantage on rear axle capacity as they're the same axle, but other improvements are worthwhile).
Second, you'd be foolish to purchase a 07.5 - 12 model year Cummins Ram with the early Tier IV emissions, well not foolish, but not as good of a decision. Yes it works, but it's less efficient and more problem prone than later model systems with DEF/SCR addition. To be fair though, from 09-10 on, the "old" emissions is fairly bulletproof, albeit less efficient, far more fuel used for regens than newer system. Not to mention, lifespan/miles plays a large part in emissions reliability.

Considering all the era of trucks you're talking about are close to or over 10 years old anyway, your best bet is to start at 2015 as the oldest model in consideration (apples to apples anyway, wouldn't pass up a great deal on older, but deals are somewhere between few and none anyways and values don't generally drop appreciably within a couple model years of each other with diesels these days).
With a 2015 or newer you get the advantage of 3rd year of production of the newer system (although I found 2014s, a fleet of them being torture tested from an emissions standpoint, to be pretty reliable compared to the competition) and several other minor upgrades or changes in programming, engine cooling that are a bit better than the 2013-2014 drivetrains.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ There just might be a market for cars with front and rear dual wheels!

2022 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Point to ponder, hornets nest stir
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.